• Register
  • Help

Topic: Help! QT related latency problems?!?

Share/Bookmark

Help! QT related latency problems?!?

Ok, so I did something dumb. I attempted to install the sample finder/player called MVP that shipped for use with the Metamorphosis sample library. The problems began immediately as the software automagically installed Quicktime as well.

I immediately started to experience horrible latency problems and I uninstalled MVP. The latency problems persist. I tried uninstalling Quicktime but have been unsuccessful. There is no \"uninstall\" app in the Quicktime folder. Quicktime doesn\'t show up in the Uninstall Programs Control Panel. Help!

I figured out that if I re-select my audio out device and click \"apply,\" the latency goes away for a little while but it comes back fairly quickly. Before I installed this PITA piece of software I had a rock-solid setup with no noticeable latency. How can I uninstall QT? What is causing these problems? Please help.

Re: Help! QT related latency problems?!?

Hi,
    You may not need to uninstally QT as much as just stop it from loading. If I remember correctly, uninstalling one version of QT did not remove everything from my Win ME system.

Try running msconfig from Start->Run, then go to the startup tab and uncheck any QT companents that are getting loaded at boot.

You\'ll get a message when you reboot about running less than everything. Don\'t worry about that.

Beware, unchecking the WRONG stuff may cause your system to get even less stable. The following link is a good list of what each of these beasties does and what can be turned off.
    http://www.pacs-portal.co.uk/startup_index.htm

Cheers,
    Mark

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size=\"1\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by notejockey:
    Ok, so I did something dumb. I attempted to install the sample finder/player called MVP that shipped for use with the Metamorphosis sample library. The problems began immediately as the software automagically installed Quicktime as well.

I immediately started to experience horrible latency problems and I uninstalled MVP. The latency problems persist. I tried uninstalling Quicktime but have been unsuccessful. There is no \"uninstall\" app in the Quicktime folder. Quicktime doesn\'t show up in the Uninstall Programs Control Panel. Help!

I figured out that if I re-select my audio out device and click \"apply,\" the latency goes away for a little while but it comes back fairly quickly. Before I installed this PITA piece of software I had a rock-solid setup with no noticeable latency. How can I uninstall QT? What is causing these problems? Please help.

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

[This message has been edited by Mark_Knecht (edited 04-03-2002).]

I had a somewhat similar problem where Quicktime took over all my audio programs, and it was a bear to get rid of it, and the way I did it (deleting stuff) was risky to say the least and not recommendable.

If you have Windows ME (I don\'t know about XP) you have \'System Restore\' which SHOULD take you back to a point before you installed the program. Start>Programs>Accessories>System Tools>System Restore will get you there.

Other than that, Mark\'s way sounds good.

michael88s

Thanks-

I\'ll take a look and see if your suggestion works, Mark.

Michael, I forgot to mention this is a Win98 based system. Is Me + Giga stable for you?

Go into the registry and remove every instance of QTTASK.EXE . That\'s Apple\'s attempt at sabotaging Windows machines, what it does is run in the background, and attempts to open EVERY file you open (on the computer or on the web) with QuickTime, and then when that fails, allows your system to open it normally.

It really wreaks havoc on systems from what I\'ve seen.

It is stable for me.

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size=\"1\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by notejockey:
    Is Me + Giga stable for you?<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

so for my next moronic newbie-like question:

Where is the registry. Doing a search doesn\'t yield any workable results.

(Forgive me, i\'m much more fluent on mac)

[B]so for my next moronic newbie-like question:

Where is the registry.B]<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Start->run then type regedit.
    You should always make a backup when in the regedit before you do anything here, I think it is called \"export\".

notejockey,

ME is stable for me also.

good luck,
    michael88s

Go Back to forum