• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: Running GS3 on dual Xeon setup any problem?

Share/Bookmark

Running GS3 on dual Xeon setup any problem?

I would like to run GS3 on a Dual Xeon computer together with Cubase SX and Ableton LIVE for loops.GS3 i like to give a dedicated SCSI Harddisk. Is there anybody who has experience with Dual processor setup does GS give any problems running on Dual system?
    I'm not an orchestral composer so i don't need an dedicated GS system, and like to run all apps on the same computer so dual setup gives advantage. Any advice is welcome!

Thanks in advance.

Greetings Wilfred.

Re: Running GS3 on dual Xeon setup any problem?

GS works fine with SMP, although it doesn't make any use of it. You'll probably need to turn HyperThreading off.

Unless you mother board has built in SCSI, I'd stay away from it. It's just not nesessary.

hmm this is a weird one . SX is optimized for dual CPU. lots of SX users get good results with 2 cpu . BUT giga is'nt so may be some problems. also make sure your card and work well with 2 cpu. recently toms hardware ran a goo article on runing apps on a duel xeon system. maybe some voodoo is possible to run giga on its own thread. ( personall i like mulit " chepo" cpu for giga)

mike

> "personall i like mulit " chepo" cpu for giga"

With GigaPulse, multi-fast CPUs will be better.

Of course, the big win with multiple systems is that you can load more instruments than in a single machine - no matter how fast or "dual" your machine happens to be.

-JF

You can purchase to PC's for the price of one dual Xeon machine. Plus you'll be able to load twice as much stuff with fewer hard drive bandwidth issues with 2 machines. Put 2 GB's of RAM in each machine and get fast SATA drives.

With 2 machines you don't have to worry about Giga conflicting with the Sequencer and other plugins on the other machine.

I agree. Also, ram for Xeon class systems cost a fortune last time I looked. I'd hate to be buying 2 or more gig of the stuff.
    ---------------------------
    - SCA - Sound Studios -
    www.sca-soundstudios.com

>>> . Also, ram for Xeon class systems cost a fortune last time I looked. I'd hate to be buying 2 or more gig of the stuff.

Things have changed recently. There are ASUS mobo's on the market
    (PC-DL & NCCH-DL) which accept standard DDR400 , no ECC or registered memory required. The only thing that these boards need is an EPS power supply which costs a little more than a standard ATX power supply.

Also make sure that you buy 2 cpu's at once. A small difference in production lot (stepping code) could give problems.

Check out the nuendo.com hardware forum. There are a couple of people running xeon rigs.

Jvb.

I got a dual Xeon system on a ASUS MOBO. Haven't bought the second CPU yet. Cost, I think, is less than two systems, plus I just don't have the space for two full systems. One downside is noise - those Xeons run hot and loud! I've been looking at water cooling, but they're not cheap - $200+.

Does anyone know if GS3 will support hyperthreading? I know everyone says it doesn't really matter, but HT was one of the reasons I went with a new system, so just humor me, ok.

Yes i heard about noisy fans too for the processors, no quite Zalman fans are made for Xeon cpu's! After all they are made for Servers. If i summarize all the pro's and con's it looks like i'm going to buy a Labtop and connect it via Gigateleport or via Midioverlan with extra soundcard.
    A lot advices from your side thanks all of you! After all this forum is about Gigastudio but sometimes it looks like a complain forum.

Thanks and greetings Wilfred.

Thumbs up Re: Running GS3 on dual Xeon setup any problem?

Quote Originally Posted by JVB
    >>> . Also, ram for Xeon class systems cost a fortune last time I looked. I'd hate to be buying 2 or more gig of the stuff.

Things have changed recently. There are ASUS mobo's on the market
    (PC-DL & NCCH-DL) which accept standard DDR400 , no ECC or registered memory required. The only thing that these boards need is an EPS power supply which costs a little more than a standard ATX power supply.

Also make sure that you buy 2 cpu's at once. A small difference in production lot (stepping code) could give problems.

Check out the nuendo.com hardware forum. There are a couple of people running xeon rigs.

Jvb.
    Thanks Jvb, thats very interesting and good to know.
    - SCA - Sound Studios -
    www.sca-soundstudios.com

Go Back to forum