• Register
  • Help

Topic: setup opinions!

Share/Bookmark

setup opinions!

Hiya,
    I'm currently running GPO in Pro Tools 6.4. I've found that it is a bit heavy on CPU so have decided to try and run it on a PC laptop.
    So I'd be playing the midi into Pro Tools and out to the input for the PC, then taking the audio out of the PC back to Pro Tools. Is this madness??? The PC needs a bit more RAM but apart from that it's fine (833MHz I think, thereabouts anyway).
    Any suggestions or warnings? I need to buy a soundcard for the PC too (a simple affair, just midi in and a stereo out), so any low cost ideas are welcome!!
    thanks,
    steve

Re: setup opinions!

I don't know if 833mHz is gonna cut it. I've got 1.7gHz on my PC and that's even under the recommended amount. If you only need a few instruments at a time, you should be fine (unless one is the Steinway Grand!), but otherwise you'll probably be tapped out on CPU.
    www.EricHermanMusic.com
    - Cool Tunes for Kids -

even a p4 2.4 GHz is slow...
    i suggest a front side bus at 800MHz and at least a 2.8 - 3 GHz (i wish i had know it before i bought this PC last christmas!)

Until you upgrade, one solution in Pro Tools is converting your GPO Aux tracks into Audio tracks. That'll free up a lot of CPU power.

Jeff

My Dell P4 2.66 w/ 1 gig RAM seems pretty borderline... the idea for me (I THINK, but am still clueless) is to never have more samples running at once than I need to create a skeletal rhythm and melodic outline, convert tracks to wav, then only open samples as needed to embellish the orchestration, playing running voices along with the wav files on a sequencer. (Sonar 3PE?)

Besides, it seems to me that the whole technology is emerging so fast, that no CPU or RAM upgrade will ever be enough. Today's 3.2Ghz Powerhouse is tomorrows door-stop, and that's just the way it is.

For pcmcia, I would check out Echo's Indigo stuff, though you may need some sort of card converter for the midi.

Quasar

3.0 with 1 gig RAM seems to work just fine for me; I've done full orchestra with the Steinway without any noticeable problem.

Hey Gardibolt,

Just curious, is your 3.0/1 gig dedicated to DAW?

Michael (Quasar)

I don't know, I have a 2.8 Ghz laptop with 512 MB of ram and it can't seem to do nearly as much as my desktop system. Of course, I'm using onboard audio on the laptop as I can't justify an Indigo just yet. The playback really suffers in a laptop. If I were in the same boat, I'd build a dirt cheap desktop and then route the midi from Pro Tools. I bet you could build a sufficiently capable desktop for less than 800 bucks.

I bought my Dell 3.06 ghz with 1gig of ram new from someone on Ebay for around $600.00 and it works great with GPO as a stand alone. Go to Dell's website, they have great deals on refurbished and demo PC's with tons of stuff and warranty to boot, no pun intended

Go Back to forum