• Register
  • Help

Topic: Logic/Giga/Mia Path Connections

Share/Bookmark

Logic/Giga/Mia Path Connections

Hello. I am a very new Logic user. Please consider this situation:
    I have Logic Gold, GS96 and an Echo Mia GSIF audio card.

I am presently able to traverse this path: my KB Midi to Logic, Logic midi to GS and GS digital waveforms to the Mia audio card. My question is: How do I connect the GS output to a Logic audio input then a Logic output to the Mia card.

This is probably a simple question for logic owners though is less than clear to me.

Thanks, Craig

Re: Logic/Giga/Mia Path Connections

Hi

I use Mia with GS160 and Logic Platinum v5 so the system is similar to yours.

I\'ve asked Echo about this very thing, but they weren\'t able to help. One way is to create your .wav files in GS and then import them into Logic (using the Import Audio File command, for example)This can be laborious if you need to import a number of individual files, but it works!

I am going to try connect the Digital Out SPDIF connection on the Mia card to the Digital In in the hope this means I\'ll be able to record the output of GS straight into Logic without leaving the digital domain. This would be a more elegant solution.

By the way I\'m refining some Logic environments that I\'ve created for controlling GS from Logic. If you\'re interested I\'ll send them to you when they\'re completed, or post them up for general use by Logic/GS users.

Hope this helps

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size=\"1\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Nepomuk:

I am going to try connect the Digital Out SPDIF connection on the Mia card to the Digital In in the hope this means I\'ll be able to record the output of GS straight into Logic without leaving the digital domain. This would be a more elegant solution.
    <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

MidiIn->Logic->GS->Logic->Mia would be ideal. That would mean they are patched in software. I believe you are suggesting MidiIn->Logic->GS->Mia->Mia->Logic->Mia which also sounds promising. I would bet others on this list have dealt with this issue. Anyone?

It seems to me, that to connect Logic and GS in software one would need a GSIF driver and another driver for Logic running on different Mia virtual channels. I found what follows in a review of Mia, though I am not certain of all its implications as I have no experience with PC audio - only Midi:

\"Various combinations of MME, ASIO, DirectSound and Nemesys GSIF drivers can be assigned to each virtual output for different applications, the only major restriction being that DirectSound and GSIF are not supported at the same time.\" Hmmm?
    <BLOCKQUOTE><font size=\"1\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">quote:</font><HR>
    By the way I\'m refining some Logic environments that I\'ve created for controlling GS from Logic. If you\'re interested I\'ll send them to you when they\'re completed, or post them up for general use by Logic/GS users.
    <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
    I have had my Logic Gold 4.8 running for about 2 weeks now and am still on the big learning curve. I am starting with its Midi capabilities (seem straight forward) then was going to progress to understanding Environments. Later, I will work with audio (though I posted this thread assuming there might be a simple answer - Anyone?). Any Environments I could get from you would greatly help in my learning efforts.

Question: Would one want to create an Environment Instrument for, let say, Strings, one for Brass, one for Percussion, etc? I recently purchased the new Giga-version of Prosonus Orchestra. I\'m not quite sure how to organize all of these samples between Logic and GS (Env. Instruments and GS controller 32 banks?).

Anyway, thanks for your response Nepomuk, and when you complete your Environment files and/or the SPDIF looback solution, please let me know. I could send you my e-mail for getting the environments or you could post them here. Let me know.

Craig
    Chicago, IL

Quote:

MidiIn->Logic->GS->Logic->Mia would be ideal. That would mean they are patched in software. I believe you are suggesting MidiIn->Logic->GS->Mia->Mia->Logic->Mia which also sounds promising. I would bet others on this list have dealt with this issue. Anyone?

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    This is what I asked Mia about, but it seems that your (and my) ideal solution can\'t be done. I think they\'re missing a big trick here as it would really increase the usefulness of the card to be able to do some software routing such as you describe.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Quote:

Question: Would one want to create an Environment Instrument for, let say, Strings, one for Brass, one for Percussion, etc? I recently purchased the new Giga-version of Prosonus Orchestra. I\'m not quite sure how to organize all of these samples between Logic and GS (Env. Instruments and GS controller 32 banks?).
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Personally I\'m not following the route of creating environment instruments for GS as I tend to change pretty radically the samples I use in any given piece. What I\'ve been working on is controlling the mixer functions from within Logic so that they can be automated. This is straightforward for the MIDI mixer on the various ports, but less so for the DSP station. I\'ve only recently got to grips with the differences and the structure of the mixing facilities. I find it useful to think of it all as a virtual 64:16:4:2 mixer; initially I found the DSP mixing confusing. Have you found the same?

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size=\"1\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Nepomuk:
    Quote:
    Personally I\'m not following the route of creating environment instruments for GS as I tend to change pretty radically the samples I use in any given piece.
    <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

So you simply assign a channel for each track in the arrange window and leave it at that? As I said, I am new to Logic but what I have been doing is creating and saving Logic files that are set up for certain instrument combinations (little more than named tracks set to a specified MIDI channel). Then I save a GS setup with the loaded instruments in the channels cooresponding to that which I setup in Logic. This is probably what you do. Yes?

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size=\"1\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">quote:</font><HR>
    What I\'ve been working on is controlling the mixer functions from within Logic so that they can be automated. This is straightforward for the MIDI mixer on the various ports, but less so for the DSP station. I\'ve only recently got to grips with the differences and the structure of the mixing facilities. I find it useful to think of it all as a virtual 64:16:4:2 mixer; initially I found the DSP mixing confusing. Have you found the same?
    <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I have not use any Logic mixing capabilities as of yet though someday ... So far though, I really like the way it works. Logic seems to run well with GS in the same computer. It doesn\'t even complain when I am playing a Logic sequence and loading new GS samples at the same time Lots to learn.

Want to hear some fine music? Checkout these composers: http://billbrownmusic.com/musicmain.htm http://artists.mp3s.com/artists/116/evan_evans_-_composer.html

Also, a Bernard Herman radio documentary (2.5 hours of streamed audio!) http://www.uib.no/herrmann/articles/audio/celebration/

Go Back to forum