• Register
  • Help

Topic: Gigastudio 160, Win XP Pro, and Endless BSODs

Share/Bookmark

Gigastudio 160, Win XP Pro, and Endless BSODs

For the last month I have been having BSOD problems with Giga. Whenever I load Giga or an app that uses the Nemesys MIDI ports the system crashes. Depending on what else I have running, I get one of 3-4 stop errors. Some of the time, when I reboot, XP tells me it was a fatal problem with Giga. If I uninstall the program, all of my other MIDI apps work fine and the system doesn\'t crash. If its installed they too cause BSODs. One interesting note, I recently had to scrap my Windows profile and make a new one from scratch. I then reinstalled Giga and it worked for about a week then started to crash again. I did a system restore, and it fixed it only to have it start crashing again 2 days later. A system restore no longer fixes it. Has anyone else had this type of problem? My config is as follows:

Dual Pentium Xeon 1.7GHz
    .75 GB RAM
    40 GB HD dedicated to .gig files
    40 GB HD dedicated to apps
    Win XP Pro
    Creative Audigy
    PC-822
    US-428

I have never had a problem with any of my other apps (Sonar, Reaktor, Reason etc...) Any help would be greatly appreciated.

-David

Re: Gigastudio 160, Win XP Pro, and Endless BSODs

Are you using the latest version of GS?
    2.5 is said to be more stable.

WIP

Check your hard drives for errors. Only time I\'ve seen corrupted profiles in XP have been from hardward issues. You can check the System log in the Event Viewer for errors. Look under the Event column for error \'7\'. This is a hard drive error.

Make sure that when you reinstall Giga that you follow the directions posted on the Tascam website. These will have you uninstall the program, reboot, clean out menu items and clean out the Nemesys and Conexant options under the Software categories under the HKEY_Local_Machine and HKEY_Current_User hives. Reboot and then reinstall Giga.

David,
    Do you have two processors installed? I would be most certain that Tascam/Nemesys never checked that configuration as a test case.

Dual processor machines can hit corner cases, both code-wise and timing-wise, that single processors do not. This could easily cause problems.

Mark
    <BLOCKQUOTE><font size=\"1\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by davidbrenner1:
    Dual Pentium Xeon 1.7GHz
    <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Go Back to forum