• Register
  • Help

Topic: Unfair Upgrade Pricing Policy

Share/Bookmark

Unfair Upgrade Pricing Policy

This has been on my mind for some time, but only now have I decided to get it off my chest and commit it to writing. Tascam US have decided that if one buys Giga now you get a cheaper upgrade. Sounds nice. Only tell me this, what about all the LOYAL customers which have bought every incarnation of Giga from the Gigasampler days. Who bought it straight away, who preordered it, who stuck with it through bug fixes and all. Tell me then why these people are being penalized now, because unless I have missed some small detail they will have to pay a much larger fee to upgrade to Giga3.

Surely if you were going to be logical and reasonable, heck even NICE to your LOYAL customers you would have a special upgrade price for people who have already got GS. But no, they do the opposite. They are basically saying "hey, everyone that has never bought GigaStudio before, come aboard now and we'll give you a nifty discount!!"... while the rest of the LOYAL customers which bought it as soon as it came out, ((which, I might add, if they had not done so Giga3 wouldn't even have been around today to offer such a discount anyway)), feel cheated.

Do you feel cheated? If not, why not?

Discuss.

Ed

PS: I know WHY they did it, I just dont know WHY they want to piss off all their old customers
    Me - Out of Context:
    http://www.livejournal.com/users/_ed_/

Re: Unfair Upgrade Pricing Policy

Those who bought the software long ago have had a long time to use the software, and presumably got lots of value. People who buy the software just before a new version ships have presumably extracted less value from the software before the upgrade. It makes sense to me.

Also, with the GS3 announcement, it would be possible that sales would shrink to near zero. So they offer the cheap upgrade price, enticing new customers to buy and existing customers to upgrade. I did the upgrade of 96=>160. It was good for all. I get the top software and my overall price is lower. Tascam got most of my upgrade cash up front. It was good for all.

-JF

Quote Originally Posted by JonFairhurst
    Those who bought the software long ago have had a long time to use the software, and presumably got lots of value. People who buy the software just before a new version ships have presumably extracted less value from the software before the upgrade. It makes sense to me.

Also, with the GS3 announcement, it would be possible that sales would shrink to near zero. So they offer the cheap upgrade price, enticing new customers to buy and existing customers to upgrade. I did the upgrade of 96=>160. It was good for all. I get the top software and my overall price is lower. Tascam got most of my upgrade cash up front. It was good for all.

-JF
    I felt the same way as Ed did. I thought the upgrade to GS3 was quite pricey. I've stuck with Cakewalk and Sonic Foundry products because they always had tempting upgrade offers.

I also followed Jon's advice and did the 96-160 upgrade. The 2.5 version is still nice to have around.

I don't feel cheated at all.

Existing users ARE getting an upgrade price. Given I have GS2.5 160, I am only paying US $249 versus the FULL price of $599.

Yes, I am paying $200 more than people that purchased after January 1, but I would assume there are two reasons for this:
    - there IS some monetary value one can assign to the value I have had in using the product prior to January
    - Tascam had to do something to stimulate continued sales of GS2 after they announced GS3. I also assume the pricing might have assumed an earlier release date for GS3.

This is similar to other software companies. Look at the Spectrasonics Stylus situation. If I purchased Stylus after January 1, I would only have to pay US $299 for Stylus, and I would receive a free upgrade to Stylus RMX. However, if I was a "long time" user of Stylus, I would have paid the original $299 + a $99 upgrade fee. This also sounds reasonable to me, since it implies that there is some monetary value to having the product for a while.

The business concept is really all about expanding market share. This is also why products are discounted as time goes on.

It would have been nice if the GS3 upgrade wasn't quite this much, but that is a "value" decision everyone has to make.

Having said all of that, I probably would be upset if I purchased GS 2.5 on Dec. 31 of last year. Ouch!!

It's just a way to entice more consumers. everybody does it, No big deal really.

> everybody does it, No big deal really.

This is it in a nutshell.

Yep. Pretty much standard across the product board. I am looking forward to the new and omproved G3.

Go Back to forum