• Register
  • Help

Topic: SATA problems

SATA problems

Anybody familiar with SATA drives "disappearing" under WinXP, crashing the system. One of my SATA drives (XP SP1) sometimes vapourises while it shows up ok in the BIOS.
    P4 2.8, Asus P4P
    Best regards,
    Michiel Post

Chandler, Arizona

Re: SATA problems

I had this happen once on one of my machines about 6 months ago. Have never seen it happen again. Reseated the connectors after it happened. Maybe I had a bad connection. I have heard of the ASUS cables not making a good connection.

Do you have a mix of EIDE and SATA drives in your system? This can sometimes cause issues.

Also, try updating the BIOS for your motherboard.

Do a search at www.google.com which will bring up all sorts of stuff if you type in "SATA drives disappear in Windows XP".

Got that same mobo and a pair of Seagate SATA 120 gig's and have never experienced that. If the drive was moved over from a Win98 system or something, you might need to visit the "Disk Management" section of "Computer Management" and see if XP wants to apply a marker to the drive. If your Windows patches are lacking, SP2 might make the problem go away. If that's not it, you might want to reformat it under XP, or even swap out the cable and/or drive.

Thanks for the suggestions.
    So far no luck. It could be that this drive became defective; they run 24/7, all year. They perform very well when running (10.000 rpm) so maybe they just reached the end of their life-cycle (after 12 months). This particular drive has all my piano samples so you can imagine it's been used more than the other one that is used for system files, back-ups and other not so critical stuff.
    Best regards,
    Michiel Post

Make sure you have the latest drivers for your SATA controller (probably VIA or Promise). They should be available on the Motherboard manufacturer's web site.

Quote Originally Posted by Michiel Post
    It could be that this drive became defective; they run 24/7, all year.
    My 250GB External Firewire/USB drive just died, exactly one month AFTER the one year warranty expired. Now I just have the fun task of reloading all of my GIGA sample libraries.

Swapped the cables with new ones (the ones that came with the drives are inferior). So far so good, no more disappearing drive.
    Best regards,
    Michiel Post

Scottsdale, AZ

I had the same type of problem with my computer, and it pissed me off so much I took it to a professional to fix (since I could not get Windows to Start). He told me that the solution is actually on Dell's user forums. Here is a link to the page: http://forums.us.dell.com/supportfor...sage.id=200188 Hopefully, that will solve any problems that you guys may have.

It is my sad duty to inform you that mySATA drive is in SATA heaven...
    It served me well for 8 months, too bad they don't last longer.

Before leaving our world it produced several minutes of high squeeking noises and then (after a windows cached write error) disappeared for ever.
    Best regards,
    Michiel Post

My condolences, Michiel.

This was a Raptor? They should last longer than eight months, in fact their warranty is three years I believe.

Go Back to forum