• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: 'Atmosphere'-type Add On?

Share/Bookmark

Talking 'Atmosphere'-type Add On?

Just a quick question/suggestion...any chance we'll see an 'Atmosphere'-type (a la Spectrasonics) add on/expansion to GPO?

I understand that GPO is a tool for classical music, and I know that a lot of people consider anything out of the 'orchestral normal' pure blasphemy. I also know that GPO affords me a great opportunity to actualize my vision, and Atmosphere-type sounds are part of that vision.

I know I can buy 'Atmosphere' itself...of course. But to be honest, I'd 1) prefer working in a minimilist software environment (ie; as few programs as possible) and 2) I'd rather give my money to Mr. Garritan.

While Spectrasonics and Eric Persing seem like true visionaries, I've seen very few companies (if any) that will bend over backward for their customers like Mr. Garritan. And that kind of effort should be rewarded...thus my question/suggestion.

Thanks all!

(By the way, and totally OT, I work near Madison Square Garden...so if anyone is interested in a first hand report of what's happening in the area, let me know.)

Thumbs up Re: 'Atmosphere'-type Add On?

[QUOTE ps I had to look up the atmosphere thing to see what you were talking about[/QUOTE]

For anyone unfamiliar with a Classical/Synthesized combination, I suggest that you pick up Tomita's beautiful rendering of Debussy in his CD: 'Snowflakes are Dancing in July'.

Re: 'Atmosphere'-type Add On?

Quote Originally Posted by imagegod
    I suggest that you pick up Tomita's beautiful rendering of Debussy in his CD: 'Snowflakes are Dancing in July'.
    Tomita is the master as far as I know. I really like his version of Holst's Planets, too.
    It's funny you should mention "Snowfalkes"--that's kinda why I got GPO in the first place.
    I had done a Tomita-ish version of "Girl with the Flaxen Hair" (Original non-GPO version) and I needed some better sounding strings and flutes, so I purchased GPO. I plan on redoing the peice with some GPO parts later.

Imagegod,
    I am an Atmosphere user and based on my experience with this I would recommend that Gary not add something like this to GPO. Now before you start throwing tomatos, let me explain.

I have found with modules and samples in the genre of Atmosphere (Metomorphasis, etc.) require a great deal of overhead that I would not want to see introduced to GPO. This includes envelopes, filters, the whole enchilada. The reason Atmosphere is such a good product is because it addresses almost everything you need to make these kind of sounds work. (Sync capabilities, etc.) I would prefer to keep this kind of functionality out of GPO, keeping GPO simple, and let the likes of Spectrasonics do its thing.

BTW, I really like Atmosphere. It delivers huge bang for the buck.

-Kevin
    We are the music makers, we are the dreamers of dreams …
    24" 2.4 Ghz iMac, OSX 10.4.10, MOTU 828 MKII, 2 Glyph 250 Gig external drives, Logic 9, Finale 2008 GPO, JABB, Strad, Gro, Reason 4, EWQL Storm Drum, Adrenaline, Symphonic Choirs, SO Gold,All Arturia Synths, Many NI Synths, Spectrasonics Synths, KH Strings, VEPro on a Windows 7 4x 2.8 Ghz 12 gig of RAM

Quote Originally Posted by LFO
    Now before you start throwing tomatos, let me explain.

I have found with modules and samples in the genre of Atmosphere (Metomorphasis, etc.) require a great deal of overhead that I would not want to see introduced to GPO. This includes envelopes, filters, the whole enchilada. The reason Atmosphere is such a good product is because it addresses almost everything you need to make these kind of sounds work. (Sync capabilities, etc.) I would prefer to keep this kind of functionality out of GPO, keeping GPO simple, and let the likes of Spectrasonics do its thing.

BTW, I really like Atmosphere. It delivers huge bang for the buck.

-Kevin
    No tomatoes from me, that's for sure. What I know about Atmosphere (and computer music in general) you can put in a thimble with room left over for a thumb. If you're correct and you think Atmosphere's functionality should stay outside GPO...then more power to you and Atmosphere. Perhaps in some future update Mr. Garritan could add a small number of ambiant type synth sounds...and if that's even too much, then forget I brought it up.

Regarding Tomita, I think if more so-called 'hard-line' classicists heard 'Snowflakes' (and 'The Planets' are terrific as well), that might open their eyes to certain possibilities.

And where would you stop? If you want Atmosphere, why not mini-moogs, 808 kits and 303s? Because GPO is an orchestral sample library; why turn it into something totally different.
    If you want to add synths just run them alongside it. There are a load of good freeware ones like Crystal and Triangle.
    You could use rewire and have Reason running alongside GPO doing all the electronic stuff, drums and non-orchestral samples. Propellerheads are very good customer-service and support wise.
    "A composer is a guy who goes around forcing his will on unsuspecting air molecules,often with the assistence of unsuspecting musicians"

Quote Originally Posted by deadbeat
    And where would you stop? If you want Atmosphere, why not mini-moogs, 808 kits and 303s? Because GPO is an orchestral sample library; why turn it into something totally different.
    For the same reason that Mr. Garritan and co. is creating a Jazz/Big Band...whatever it's called. Moduole? Update? Add-on? It's taking a format and expanding its possibilities. If it were seperate from the central software, you could buy it or not at your discretion.

Plug-ins such as Atmosphere are a dedicated type approach with its own engine. These take quite a bit of development and money to create the engine. There are quite a few Atmosphere type VST's available now which make it hard to sell a newer one.

GPO fills a market need that no one was addressing at the time of it's release. The same goes for the big band add-on. Hopefully, Gary will continue to find the market holes to fill in and with reasonably priced products.

BTW, Atmosphere should work fine along with GPO.

Wink Re: 'Atmosphere'-type Add On?

Makes sense to me...I'm glad I brought it up if only for the intelligent responses!

Thanks again!

imagegod, you shouldn't feel chided by the responses. I bought Atmosphere and the GPO at the same time and I've used them at the same time since day one. And by the way I got into a somewhat heated discussion here when I said I used Atmosphere's strings with the GPO.

Don't discount the advice about the free Crystal and Triangle2. The Crystal is great for ambient sounds. Atmosphere is expensive but the sound quality is stunning. I swore I didn't need it and it was a true impulse buy but I am so glad I did. It's truly worthy of your consideration even if you have to save up for it. Do try the freebies!

Go Back to forum