• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Topic: getting rid of my keyboards

Share/Bookmark

getting rid of my keyboards

In the last years we have seen the development of outstanding orchestral libs and lots of VSTi (like Atmosphere, Trilogy, Hypersonic, D´Cota, Absynth and etc) that cover almost every aspect of synthesized sounds that can be generated digitally. Given that, what is the point of having keyboard workstations instead of having just one good midi controler, and keeping all the synthesis inside the computer?
    I am asking this because I am selling all my keyboard workstations and I would like to know if I am going in the right direction.
    Last edited by Guga Bernardo; 08-27-2004 at 11:50 AM. Reason: wrong typing

Re: getting rid of my keyboards

It's the direction I've gone in.
    Melodialworks Music
    Music for Relaxation and Inspiration
    www.lawrencelougheed.com

Ditto.!

Yves

Guga, I think that you're most likely heading the correct direction. Make certain that you have a superb midi controller keyboard (aftertouch, pitch wheel, mod wheel, weighted keys, etc.) Then, build up an arsenal of sample libraries....and you'll be set.

You know, the workstations you've mentioned... cannot come close to the fullness and sound quaility that today's sample libraries have. So, if you're use to using workstation for your sample sounds... IMHO, you'll be much happier with computer-based samplers and a good collection of sample libraries.

Actually, I kinda went from having a room full of older keyboards (Clavinet, Fender Rhodes, Hammond Organ, Memorymoog, ARP String Ensemble and Minimoog) to only having two controller keyboards, a few good synth modules and a dedicated GigaStudio computer system.

Although, I still kinda miss the Hammond C3.......

Ive' gotten rid of my stuff pretty much. I'm still holding on to my
    Sound Canvas during the transition period. However, what I'm lusting for is more keyboard controllers. Splitting the KX88 is sort of working, but far from gratifying. I'm dreaming of several keyboards and a pedal board and playing like a theatre organist.

I do have one of the new BCF2000 midi control surfaces...wow, this is fun.

If you are composer who composes while improvising on a keyboard, you might want to hang on to a second keyboard. Playing piano or strings/synthpads with your left hand on a second keyboard just might come in handy with finding that clarinet tune you play with your right hand on the main keyboard. A second keyboard could be a fantastinc aid in the composing process. It creates extra stimuli and everything that creates extra stimuli should be regarded as extremely valuable to a composer.

------------
    Alex Cremers

If you are composer who composes while improvising on a keyboard, you might want to hang on to a second keyboard. Playing piano or strings/synthpads with your left hand on a second keyboard just might come in handy with finding that clarinet tune you play with your right hand on the main keyboard.
    Or get 88-notes and create a split.

I recommend two keyboards, but for a different reason.

One for playing (in my case 88-weighted) and a small controller with lots of knobs and sliders for auditioning and editing sounds at the computer. (It's hard to have an 88 keyboard near the computer in an ergonomically healthy setup). IMHO.
    Melodialworks Music
    Music for Relaxation and Inspiration
    www.lawrencelougheed.com

You know why I still like my Trition?

Becuase its so nice and easy to use. I dont have to worry about performance. I dont have to worry about it crashing.

In Atmosphere, for example, I have to wait forever for the thing to load one sound which I may only be auditioning anyway. If I want to layer it I can only layer 2 patches. In the Triton I can have 8 channels of layering, and many effects and tons of other editing things including importing other acoustic sounds although, granted, importing your own is a pain in the [nss][nss][nss].

This is why hardware is still good for many reasons.

Ed
    Me - Out of Context:
    http://www.livejournal.com/users/_ed_/

Quote Originally Posted by Guga Bernardo
    ...what is the point of having keyboard workstations instead of having just one good midi controller
    I think there are some valid reasons for keeping a synth workstation around:

- ease of use: it can be convenient to simply fire up the keyboard and play around with a musical idea instead of having to fire up the computer

- finding a "good" midi controller: I haven't tested the latest 88-key midi controllers, but in the past none of them had the same "quality" feel as an 88-key keyboard from one of the "big" synth manufacturers (Yamaha, etc.) -- at least to me.

Ed,

How come you can only layer two patches?

Go Back to forum