• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Topic: Cubase SX2- $200 off!!

Share/Bookmark

Cubase SX2- $200 off!!

Ladies and Gentlemen,

I received a newsletter from AudioMidi.com this morning which has, what appears to be, a decent price reduction on Cubase SX2. I don't know if Steinberg are clearing stock or are being hammered by Cakewalk....(there is a possibility, of course, that the AudioMidi folk are just really nice, kind and generous people). Also it's the first time I've heard SX3 mentioned......(It's getting exciting again....SX3, Kontakt2, GPO MKII......

New Low Price on Cubase SX 2
    Steinberg has lowered the price of Cubase SX 2. Now you can have one of the most powerful DAW applications on the planet for just $399, a saving of $200! Don't wait for Cubase SX 3. By purchasing Cubase SX 2 at the new low price you will be able to upgrade to Cubase SX 3 for only $49!

Frank
    PS There is SO much I could tell you about GPO MKII, if only the beta testers would let me in on it!

Red face Re: Cubase SX2- $200 off!!

Hi,

I'm a new guy, and you're scarin' me. I just got GPO, my first venture ever into soft sounds, decided to get the full-blown Kontakt (it's in the mail) via the summer special, and now I'm absolutely tapped-out until next payday.

And I'm pining for a great sequencer! Have been playing with the Sonar 3PE demo, which looks like it will do everything except maybe (alas!) create world peace & justice and take out the garbage, and the interface seems intuitive and easy (the included Cubasis VST 4 in GPO bewilders me.)

But $399- on my shoestring budget- just might make it possible to get SX2 next week instead of Sonar PE in October.

It seems whichever one I choose would be the centerpeice of the DAW environment. Is that right? If so, then it's a major decision. I realize that asking experienced folks which is better for PC-based DAW, Cubase or Sonar (?) is probably unanswerable. I'm just asking anyway.

Michael

Re: Cubase SX2- $200 off!!

Quote Originally Posted by Quasar
    I realize that asking experienced folks which is better for PC-based DAW, Cubase or Sonar (?) is probably unanswerable. I'm just asking anyway.
    Yeah, there's already been quite a lot of talk on this forum about Sonar vs. Cubase (you might want to dig in the archives), and I think the conclusion I get is that they are both excellent programs which both work very well with GPO. So whichever one you can best afford is probably going to be best for you.

Ah, actually, I just reread your post and if you don't like the interface of Cubasis, then Cubase may not be what you want. Cubase is structured a little bit different than Cubasis, but it's still essentially the same type of setup and functionality.

If affordability is difficult at that price range, you might also consider Cubase SE ($99), which has many of the main functions that SX has, or something like Tracktion ($80), which I use and enjoy for some projects (though Sonar 3 is still tops for me).
    www.EricHermanMusic.com
    - Cool Tunes for Kids -

Quote Originally Posted by Quasar
    Hi,

I'm a new guy, and you're scarin' me. I just got GPO, my first venture ever into soft sounds, decided to get the full-blown Kontakt (it's in the mail) via the summer special, and now I'm absolutely tapped-out until next payday.

And I'm pining for a great sequencer! Have been playing with the Sonar 3PE demo, which looks like it will do everything except maybe (alas!) create world peace & justice and take out the garbage, and the interface seems intuitive and easy (the included Cubasis VST 4 in GPO bewilders me.)

But $399- on my shoestring budget- just might make it possible to get SX2 next week instead of Sonar PE in October.

It seems whichever one I choose would be the centerpeice of the DAW environment. Is that right? If so, then it's a major decision. I realize that asking experienced folks which is better for PC-based DAW, Cubase or Sonar (?) is probably unanswerable. I'm just asking anyway.

Michael
    I wish I could help you Michael. I have Cubase SX2 but really it's a legacy situation from the old Atari days! A few years ago Steinberg vs Cakewalk = No contest. It's a different story now though. Since Sonar was introduced Cakewalk is a power to be reckoned with.

A lot of folks here (especially the Americans!- Sonar is American, Cubase is German) use Sonar. I've tried a demo myself but stayed with Cubase....you know....the devil you know. I would strongly suggest that you try demo versions of both before you make a decision....if you can't, you can rest assured that they're both very competent programmes....you won't be disappointed with either.

You may well find that the light version of both programmes will be more than adequate to get you going and GPO is, generously, supplied with Cubasis.

Good Luck with your choice,

Frank

Thanks guys for responding:

Regarding the generosity of GPO in general, I can only say that the quality of the product itself- all for $250- leaves me stunned. That GG and others who develop the project actually take the time to answer my dumb questions leaves me even beyond that...

... I'll offer that virtue is ultimately a more valuable commodity than cash, and since I don't have an over-abundance of either, this is a chance to practice a little patience. Yes, I'll find a demo of the SX, go back to work on Monday, save my pennies, explore, wait, and work with what I already have.

Most people, I think, know what it's like to discover something for the first time, and then you start getting over-excited to the point of obsession. That's the kind of thing I'm going through right now over GPO and DAW in general. Ever since I can remember, I always wished that I could "paint" music with the same freedom and autonomy that a visual artist has with oil and canvas. That this now is becoming accessible blows my mind!

Sorry if I hijacked this thread. And greetings, Frank, from across the pond. Tell me, why is it that the English spell certain words wrong when you're the ones who invented the language? Help! I need a copy of Forum Etiquette for Dummies!

Peace,
    Michael

If you go down the cubase route (and The SX family is a totally different animal from the VST based cubasis) you might try cubase SE. It's a cut down version based on the SX 1.0 engine and cheap as chips, but the midi functionality is exactly the same as its big brothers. It also has 48 audio tracks if you need them. I wouldn't base a pro audio studio round it, but the limitations are pretty inisgnifcant for most home users. Unless you actually need more than 5 insert fx, 8 sends and 16 VSTis.
    "A composer is a guy who goes around forcing his will on unsuspecting air molecules,often with the assistence of unsuspecting musicians"

Just a note, even in Cubase SE you can still only load 3 instances of GPO.

Quote Originally Posted by Joseph Burrell
    Just a note, even in Cubase SE you can still only load 3 instances of GPO.
    You can load more than that. I usually run out of RAM at 4, but you should be able to load as many as you have ram for, up to 16.
    Last edited by deadbeat; 08-28-2004 at 06:41 PM. Reason: gin
    "A composer is a guy who goes around forcing his will on unsuspecting air molecules,often with the assistence of unsuspecting musicians"

Cool Re: Cubase SX2- $200 off!!

That's a good price on Cubase SX2. (I think I got about the same when I bought mine bundled in with HAL2 and some other stuff from Sweetwater.com back last December.)

The thing to be aware of in these higher-end sequencers is the learning curve. I go back to OpCode's Studio Vision and Studio Vision PRO (on the Mac) and there were definite traps there, too, that put me "out of commission" in times of 'fried brain'. (The trap seemed to be that ONE tiny switch setting could silence pretty much everything and the odd mouse click here or there could do that quite easily.) I still try to allocate about 30 minutes per day to learning some of the more obscure features of SX2.

I think part of the problem is an inherent difference in design of European software. My personal test for "good software" used to be "can you drive it -- without undue surprises" WITHOUT the manual. I can say this here (but would get severely bashed around the head and shoulders on the Cubase.net forum): With Steinberg products that's quite an "iffy" notion.

There are other anomalies that continue to bug me -- for example: In almost every other product that you know of, if you select the same filename (in the same directory) to do a "Save As" (which assumes you are saving a "new" file for all other products that I know of) you get a standard "over-write" message, to which you can answer "Yes" (I want to over-write it) or "No" -- in which case, it gives you a chance to alter the name to something else. In Cubase SX2, if you answer "No" the "Save As" dialog just shuts down (and cancels). Huh? I think that the Steinberg team completely missed ever reviewing some of the many "style and consistency guides" for Windows (and/or Mac) and just decided to do it their "own way". For a product as complex as this, it would be very nice to have some generally consistency with other Windows/Mac applications.

Anyway ... that's my $0.02. I'm not saying I wouldn't buy it again (features for price comes into the equation, obviously) but when/if some other software house offers a "competitive upgrade" I will have to take that offer seriously!

KevinKauai

Quote Originally Posted by deadbeat
    You can load more than that. I usually run out of RAM at 4, but you should be able to load as many as you have ram for, up to 16.
    I thought Tom said that the number of instances you can load is dependent on the number of audio tracks available in the sequencer you are using since each instrument requires 2 audio outs. 3 times 8 is twenty four times 2 is 48. Are you using SE deadbeat? I'd love for this to be otherwise.

Go Back to forum