• Register
  • Help

Topic: My John Lennon Songwriting Contest Entries, A little Help Please!!!

Share/Bookmark

My John Lennon Songwriting Contest Entries, A little Help Please!!!

Hey guys and gals,

Well, the heading says it all. A while back, I mentioned posting the songs that I wanted to submit to the JLSC to this forum for comments and suggestions. I've posted them to my website at http://www.jonnylostinc.com/6963.html. They are at the bottom of the page. I would really like some feedback because I am at a loss as to which ones to submit. Unfortunately, with the $30 entry fee per song, I can't submit them all.

So, what I'm asking is for some comments on what people think about them. Please be completely honest.

The contest is based on the compositions by themselves, not the quality. So, I ask for your pardon when you are listening to my attempts at singing. That is definately my weak spot. I guess that's why I'm a composer and not a concert vocalists!! :-)

Anyway, I hope it is still cool for me to post these here.

Thanks for your help friends.

Jonny
    For more information, check out www.jonathoncox.com/intro.html

"The trouble with music appreciation in general is that people are taught to have too much respect for music they should be taught to love it instead." - Igor Stravinsky

Thumbs up Re: My John Lennon Songwriting Contest Entries, A little Help Please!!!

I don't know that's a hard call. I just entered in collaboration with a friend into the same contest. We had several songs and decided to record all of them and have as many people listen just like you are now. Surprisingly, the one(s) we thought people would like best turn out last on their lists.
    I guess it comes down to your gut feeling though. This is a tuff call but may I wish you all the luck with this contest and hope you win!
    Styxx

Re: My John Lennon Songwriting Contest Entries, A little Help Please!!!

I used to reckon I was good at picking the new groups and hits when they were first given airtime in the 60's....but this is difficult. For me 'Eating at Joe's' and 'Two Friends' stand out with the Golden Gate being third. I find it difficult choosing between these first two as the arrangement of the 'Two Friends' has much more to it. If they both had similar arrangements it would be easier.

I'd probably go with 'Eating at Joes' if I was shoved...a good Country and Western piece. I don't know what they're looking for in the competition. Is it the best song or is it the best song in the style that Lennon might have written?

I'll never forgive that bastard who shot him....

Frank
    PS I wish I could play the guitar like you.....

Hi,

It takes me forever to download mp3 with my dial-up, and don't have time to hear nearly as much music around here as I would like, so I've only listened to Frank's recommendations rather than the whole set thus far.

I think "Eat at Joe's" is a really fine, rock-solid country/folk ballad, and I liked it a lot.

Is it exactly the kind of song Lennon would have written? Perhaps not, but Lennon was, if anything, earthy and his voice was authentic, his songs were true to himself. To me, that's one of the things that made him so great.

"Eat at Joe's" sounds like an authentic Johnny Lost being true to yourself- which is entirely in the spirit of Lennon.

But as was mentioned above, I have no idea what the contest people are looking for, or what sort of musical taste they have. And I was always- growing up- the guy who liked the "B" side better than the hit anyway.

Michael

Hey guys,

Thanks so much for the comments. It appears that 2/3 of my listening audience prefers "Eat at Joe's" which is cool because I was kinda leaning that way myself.

The contest really has nothing to do with John Lennon, besides the fact that it is run by Yoko Ono (I probably butchered that spelling) The songs themselves are entered into seperate categories and are judged by industry performers, producers and the likes. (Last year, I beleive Elton John was on the committee).

The tunes are judged on lyrics, melody and compositional ability. There is also a category for just lyrics as well. So the recording quality has nothing to do with the final outcome.

Hopefully I will do OK.

Thanks,
    Jonny
    For more information, check out www.jonathoncox.com/intro.html

"The trouble with music appreciation in general is that people are taught to have too much respect for music they should be taught to love it instead." - Igor Stravinsky

Go Back to forum