• Register
  • Help

Topic: Dissonance? Try this demo

Share/Bookmark

Dissonance? Try this demo

I noticed a couple of threads talking about dissonance and I thought I would add this one to the mix:

Dissonant Thriller/Suspense Cue

It's actually a cue I worked on last month for a film. Its dark and the guy hears something outside. He walks through the house checking windows. Three guesses on what happens to him at the end!

Let me know what you think.

Thanks,

Frederick

Thumbs up Re: Dissonance? Try this demo

Oh-oh! I don't think this guy is going to DisneyWorld! I distinctly saw the sharp, shiny blade of a knife!

Cool stuff. Are world audiences ready for this kind of dissonance? What happens to all those lovely low frequencies by the time they've been through all the processing for film or tv?

Thanks for sharing! (How much of this is GPO, by the way?)

KevinKauai

Re: Dissonance? Try this demo

I usually hate dissonance, but it works perfectly here! Nice work, it gave me a chill.

Quote Originally Posted by Frederick
    Let me know what you think
    Very nice indeed!
    Chin@

Very nicely textured. Are there some odd sounds in there? What are the dark reverby, bassy knocks at the start?
    But you are having a laugh aren't you: I can't be the only person who turned it up really loud to hear the quiet bits and then, at the end, nearly 'went to the bathroom in my pants' as I believe our American friends say.
    "A composer is a guy who goes around forcing his will on unsuspecting air molecules,often with the assistence of unsuspecting musicians"

nice and evil eeheh, yeh i can really picture what happens in the end

Thanks guys for the kind comments - its VSL 1st Edition, part of the upgrade path from GPO. *I hope you'all don't mind - I was invited to post here from Gary and still waiting for my copy of GPO!*

Thanks,

Frederick

It looks as if there's no escape/////....Is that you Freddie??? ~~~~~
    Very good is this, in a sort of 'scare you less' sort of way.

Frank

I still think you ought to put words ot it!

Good pacing, good sounding sounds. Given your title, it kind of added to the stereotype of "dissonance=ominous", but it works that way here.

Good stuff, and effective. Gives a good impression of being hunted by something unknown and creepy.

Dissonance is of course a shoe-in for a thriller, but I find it interesting to see how much one can get away with for a tender love scene, or some other unexpected place. I believe that even very "shocking" dissonances can be exquisitely beautiful, given the right touch.

Is anyone here familiar with the music of Andrezej Panufnik? I learned more about dissonance and beauty from his "Autumn Music" than ever I could have imagined. I think the orchestration is for 3 flutes, 3 clars, piano, percussion, and small string ensemble. There's a whole lot of exposed minor 2nds, major 7ths, and minor 9ths in the winds, and clusters of notes in other places. But the thing is so amazingly beautiful, it makes me cry.

Or listen to either of the two slow movements from Prokofiev's 5th symphony for some very strange and beautiful string writing.

Now if I could just find an easy way to make a major chord sound more frightening...
    - Jamie Kowalski

All Hands Music - Kowalski on the web
    The Ear Is Always Correct - Writings on composition

Go Back to forum