• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: GPO Studio-Only One instance will play

Share/Bookmark

GPO Studio-Only One instance will play

I'm able to play GPO Studio from my notation program but only 8 channels worth...ie; one instance of GPO. I can open up and configure a second instance, I put the midi channel to 9, configure my notation to play channel 9, but nothin's happing...any ideas?

Thanks!

Re: GPO Studio-Only One instance will play

In your notation program you need to select GPO Studio/Player Out 2 for instance 2. Yours may be worded differently than that, but that's the essence of it.

Quote Originally Posted by Joseph Burrell
    In your notation program you need to select GPO Studio/Player Out 2 for instance 2. Yours may be worded differently than that, but that's the essence of it.
    It sure sounds like it should work, but it hasn't to date. Both iterations of GPO are selected (1 and 2), but only 1 plays. I left a message for Mr. G, but if you can come up with something, it sure would be appreciated.

Thanks!

Any way you can take a screen shot of the midi output configuration screen in your program and send it to me via email? All you have to do is click on the Print Screen key and paste it in the email.

Quote Originally Posted by imagegod
    I'm able to play GPO Studio from my notation program but only 8 channels worth...ie; one instance of GPO. I can open up and configure a second instance, I put the midi channel to 9, configure my notation to play channel 9, but nothin's happing...any ideas?

Thanks!
    I think that when you open Instance 2 you need to put in MIDI channel 1 again..........not MIDI channel 9. Thats how mine works anyway!

For an orchestral score I have been setting up GPO as follows: Woodwind on Instance 1: Flute MIDI 1, Oboe MIDI 2, Clarinet MIDI 3, Bassoon MIDI 4, and then Instance 2 for brass: Horn1 MIDI 1, Horn2 MIDI 2, Trumpet1 MIDI 3 and so on........starting each Instance with MIDI 1.

I just checked to be sure and there is no MIDI channel 9 to be seen! And it plays just fine.

Hope this helps

Peter

Yes that's correct. If you want to use the second instance in GPO Studio, you need to make your notation program send midi to the output "GPO Studio: 2" and use any of the channels from 1-8. The simple advice is to never send any midi on channels 9-16 of any GPO Studio midi port.

If you are using Finale on Macintosh, things are a little bit more confusing because of Finale's unusual channel numbering - in the case of Finale (on mac), you must never set a staff to use any of the channels from 9-16, 25-32, 41-48, or 57-64. This is Mac Finale specific due to their channel numbering scheme. By the way, in Finale on mac you should set the first port to be GPO Studio 1, the second to GPO Studio 2, third as GPO Studio 3, and fourth as GPO Studio 4.

Wink Re: GPO Studio-Only One instance will play

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Hurchalla
    Yes that's correct. If you want to use the second instance in GPO Studio, you need to make your notation program send midi to the output "GPO Studio: 2" and use any of the channels from 1-8. The simple advice is to never send any midi on channels 9-16 of any GPO Studio midi port.
    I'll give it a try...hopefully I'll be able to reply with a big s***-eating grin icon!

Thanks all...you guys (and gals) and the very best!

Unhappy Re: GPO Studio-Only One instance will play

Hey Jeff...

I gave it a try and no go...I can only play one instance at a time. Either one or two, but not both at once. It seems to be a SmartScore3 issue...it's a little known music scanning program that also sequences and notates. A beautiful little package, but something's clearly not working.

I'll drop Musitek a note (the developers), but if that doesn't work I'm SOL.

Thanks for all your help!

PS...if you (or anyone within the sound of my silent scream) happens to know anything about SmartScore and you can think of a workaround, by all means, please let me know.

Thanks.

Thumbs up Re: GPO Studio-Only One instance will play

Hey Jeff,

I found an interum solution...if I chose a seperate MIDI port, I'm in business. Except...it looks like it's only supporting 2 ports: B and C. Strange that's it's not A and B, but there you go. Does any of this ring a bell with you? Even a little one? At this point, I've got 16 instances of GPO which while not great is definitely adaquate to writing music. (I dropped Musitek an e-mail).

However, if you know any way around this 2 port limitation, please let me know. In the mean time, I'll be fudging around with SmartScore (which I've grown to like twice as much since my last post ;-]) and hope to soon post with that Green S***-eating grin icon.

Thanks tons for all your help!

Talking Re: GPO Studio-Only One instance will play

Got it! GPO Rocks! So to speak :-)

Thanks Jeff!

Go Back to forum