• Register
  • Help

Topic: Any Solo Trumpet - Western Movie style?

Share/Bookmark

Any Solo Trumpet - Western Movie style?

I'm looking for a solo trumpet sample that sound like the ones used in western movies. They often have a unique sound that I have not heard in a sample library. What kind of trumpets are used to get this unique tone. Does anyone know if there are any libraries that have this kind of sound?

Thanks,

Re: Any Solo Trumpet - Western Movie style?

Western trumpet sound? That's a bit vague. Elaborate bitte.

Quote Originally Posted by panzerD
    I'm looking for a solo trumpet sample that sound like the ones used in western movies. They often have a unique sound that I have not heard in a sample library. What kind of trumpets are used to get this unique tone. Does anyone know if there are any libraries that have this kind of sound?

Thanks,
    The only solo trumpet sounds I've heard in westerns are the Bugle and the Mariachi. Unfortunately Miles never rode with John Wayne.
    The Mariachi trumpet does have a nice, unique sound.

Question Re: Any Solo Trumpet - Western Movie style?

Quote Originally Posted by panzerD
    I'm looking for a solo trumpet sample that sound like the ones used in western movies.
    Thanks,

Which particular Western's? You mean like the Sergio Leone/Ennio Morricone ones?

Senior Member Bruce A. Richardson's Avatar

That's a hero part. There are certain things that just don't work with anything but a player. This is surely one of them.

I agree with Sharmy that out of the available solo trumpet samples, you're going to get the closest mock-up out of VSL (vibrato/legato perf). But even then, it ain't gonna be remotely in the ballpark.

Write it, mock it up with the VSL patch Bruce mentions. And then just decide then. Depending on how much 'exposure' it has - it might just be the ticket to hire someone (with a good player and a clear score it should go fast.

Rob
    Rob Elliott Music
    www.robelliottmusic.com

There must be decent samples around somewhere of Mariachi trumpet or a way of mocking it up from a standard sample? I mean I know its a player thing really, but its just a trumpet. It's that tone and vibrato really isn't it?Some library must have had a go at it.
    "A composer is a guy who goes around forcing his will on unsuspecting air molecules,often with the assistence of unsuspecting musicians"

By a strange coincidence, I was asked to come up with a Mariachi trumpet today. With a sample with strong lip vibrato you can get a 'reasonable' sound and you need a very hard attack. The most important thing is just the melody itself, the voicings, the little trills and mordants (3rds, 6ths and sometimes 9ths and 7ths. Almost no 5ths or 4ths) and that odd blend of staccato and legato. If you've got a sample of a trumpet with a fair bit of vibrato check this link for some good info.
    "A composer is a guy who goes around forcing his will on unsuspecting air molecules,often with the assistence of unsuspecting musicians"

Go Back to forum