• Register
  • Help

Topic: Some hard drive install help if anyone knows

Share/Bookmark

Some hard drive install help if anyone knows

Hi all, figured I could get some better answers here, even if it is " I dunno". I have just purchased a SATA hard drive and want to replace my "C" drive with this one. How does one go about getting all the files over to the new drive with out reloading everything? There must be some program for doing this but so far I am in the dark. I have been doing searches but the results are less than definitive. Any ideas or thoughts? Really want to get this in and working, 200 gb's @ 150 mbsec or so they say, thanks

Ps congrats to the new mod's

Re: Some hard drive install help if anyone knows

Depending on what hard drive you bought and if it is OEM (just a box basically, no manuals or cd's) some come with programs to move files over for you. Also, Partion Magic makes a program to do this as well. You'll have to install the drive as a slave first move the files, set it to your boot drive in the bios and in master position and reboot. Let me know if it's a Seagate or WD and I may be able to send you the software to move it.

I use Norton Ghost
    Symantec Website

It is a Maxtor DiamondMax Plus w/8mb buffer <9.3 seek time, it is a boxed drive so maybe there is something in there. Just had a thought, man that hurt, going to the Maxtor site to see what might be there to help with the move,will check on that ghost thingy too, thanks

They've got something there to do it for you.

We use Powerquest Drive IMage at work for cloning hard drives - really nice and easy to use. Set your new drive up as a secondary drive, boot of the floppy disk choose copy and within 5 mins a perfect copy on your new drive. Go to http://www.powerquest.com/driveimage/features.html

(Just discovered PQ was bought out by Symantec in Dec - how confusing!)

Andy
    http://www.audiopHoBic.com
    Soundtracks for Theatre, Dance & Film

I'm looking at the install guide right now, and the software that comes with it (MaxBlast) seems like it might do it. It says one choice is the "boot dirve install" it talks about when finishing copying data to your new drive shut down and go to "set the boot sequence" on page 13. Scary stuff if you know what I mean. Has anybody used the "MaxBlast" software changing out drives? I just like using that last smiley

Go Back to forum