• Register
  • Help

Topic: Yet Another "Symphonic Trance"

Share/Bookmark

Smile Yet Another "Symphonic Trance"

Another "work-in-progress" popped out again yesterday. It's on the top of my usual Preview page here .

This piece poses the question "What happens when you take a simple 16-bar progression (basically of whole notes) and then arpeggiate 4 of the string sections (all but the bottom Double Basses) with slight variations on the arpeggio of the chords?"

Then sprinkle in organ (flutes), percussion, woodwinds, brass, harp, celeste, marimba and xylophone. Repeat the 16-bar phrase (for a total of 6 instances of the theme) and there you have it. I've regressed, Gary. This one is not purely GPO -- but it's purely Garritan. (I've used 4 string patches from GOS/Lite.)

The full instrument line-up is on the Preview page.

As usual, comments, suggestions, observations appreciated. (This one won't get "published" for at least another few days.)

tia ... KevinKauai

Re: Yet Another "Symphonic Trance"

An inventive, unusual piece Kevin....It sounds quite dark in mood and for me it needs to resolve at some point but then, I suppose, the mood would be spoilt. It kind of temporarily resolves, in a way, when the percussion comes in.

I'm not sure whether the violins and cellos are always in time or is that just me?...maybe the attack times are different and a track needs to be shifted...maybe it's the effect you wanted.
    What do I know?......Actually, not that much....I just like typing!

Frank

PS, It's been cycling around for quite a few times so there must be something there!

Beautiful. I suppose it's 'philosophically' in the same vein as Glass or Reich as its about 'process' rather than development, but it doesn't really sound like either of them. I think it takes a really light touch to do this kind of thing without getting a muddy confused sound, and this sounds great. I'm not sure the percussion really fits? Does it actually need any? I loved it though, the way the harmonies just kind of emerge if you know what I mean.
    "A composer is a guy who goes around forcing his will on unsuspecting air molecules,often with the assistence of unsuspecting musicians"

Lightbulb Re: Yet Another "Symphonic Trance"

Woke up refreshed and rested after a late-night session with the piece (“Tapestries – Symphonic Trance 2004-6”) and most of Hawaii’s Verizon DSL was completely down (as well as cell phones for a while). So I continued to work on the piece, mainly cleaning up the timing on the flute ensemble. Then the Internet came back up and I was able to ready the comments/suggestions by Hardy/Frank and Deadbeat.

The result is a “second preview” version which silences all of the percussion (gons, cymbals, bass drum and snares) and adds a Trumpet section (only at the end of the piece), a Clarinet solo line and an English Horn ensemble line. That version is on the same page . Feel free to compare the two versions and add your comments and suggestions!

Thanks, in advance, again … KevinKauai

Kevin,

I distinctly enjoy it now more than previously....but you may have spoilt it for others......

Frank

Lightbulb Re: Yet Another "Symphonic Trance"

Thanks, HH/Frank!

For those who haven't had a chance to check it out yet, there are now FOUR revisions. The fourth may be a "release candidate" at this point, as I am fairly happy with it.

In LIFO order (fourth back to first) there are here .

KevinKauai

Go Back to forum