• Register
  • Help

Topic: Sibelius and GigaStudio

Share/Bookmark

Sibelius and GigaStudio

Does anyone here use Sibelius and GigaStudio?

1) Should I configure Sibelius inside GS96 like a \"sequencer\"? - or is this not necessary.

2) Sibelius recognizes my Terratec EWX2496 as my Midi in device fine. Under play > devices I give that a yes and the other choices no and then I hear my loaded instrument in channel one of GS96 playing back fine when I click TEST in Sibelius - the little green test meter in Sibelius running right up and down as I listen to this. But when I go to create, no sound (alas) as I enter notes in Sibelius and no sound (alas again) as I play back what Ive entered. (And when I come back to GS the piano I had in channel one has become loaded into ALL 32 of my GS channels, as if Sibelius forced this to happen when I tested.)

Suggestions from a Sibelius user much appreciated. A certain setting needed in GS perhaps? I\'m CLOSE - too bad this only counts in horse shoes and hand grenades!

Thanks, LifeForceExplorer

Re: Sibelius and GigaStudio

Cleverly responding to my own post, I\'d like to confirm that GS and Sibelius can work together quite handily. I havent gone THAT deeply into it but its nice to hear multi tracks of GS loaded instruments coming from Sibelius note entry and playback - and the same instruments that I had pre-designated in Sibelius matched up nicely with Conexant GM500 instruments. Has anybody else out there gooten further up the learning curve on this ? Took me 2 hours just to get this far and to crack the basics of working these two programs together. (Perhaps an admission I should keep to myself?)

Lifeforce, it sounds like you are successfully using GSt and Sibelius v2.0 under Win98SE? The reason I\'m asking is because of an older post that I\'ve copied below. You haven\'t encountered any weird problems like this?

\"GSt160 takes about 25% of GDI. If you have GDI-intensive applications like the new Sibelius V2 running together with GSt160 you will soon reach the limits of Win98. I found to be unable to run this constellation. Of course this is bad programming of Sibelius which takes more than 60%. But the applications are getting more and more hungry with the new stylish designs and there is no way in Win98 to extend this memory.\"

Hmmmm. Thanks for these comments, Steve. Thought maybe I was the Lone Ranger on this one.

I\'m actually just running the Sibelius2 DEMO at this point - with GS96 - and this is working just fine. (and Win98se 256ram P550 is all I\'ve got!) As a classical musician youve gotta love Sibelius but I can see now that its gonna be memory intensive! So your commments are a good heads up. Maybe I cant have them both (when I have the full version of Sibelius2) running at the same time.

In that case I\'ll have to sequence to my nice little PowerTracks program (as usual) and then export this to Sibelius2 for notation clean up with a GM software synth or something. Hmmm...hassles! Also, I might try deleting some of the foofoo in Sibelius I guess - like the marbleized desktop views!

Do you know if there is anyplace to set CHANNELS in Sibelius? I just choose piano first in Sibelius and then load a piano in channel one of GS. Then I choose violin in Sibelius and put a violin in channel two of GS and so forth. And LO I can enter notes with nice sound and playback multi or solo correctly! So this was just dumb luck but I cant find much (except the mixer) that is at a true MIDI information level in Sibelius, like a sequencer program would have (and I realize Sibelius is not really a sequencer).

I wrote to Sibelius about use with GS and they gave me the email address of a Sibelius employee in Los Angeles who they said had worked with the two together. I\'ve written to him. If I learn anything interesting I\'ll post it here.

Good music to you, LifeForce

For anyone who\'s curious about \'doing the virtual orchestra in a box (or boxes) thing\' with a notation program like Sibelius:
    http://www.sibelius.com/siblings/mar2001/article.html

Btw, sorry lifeforce, I don\'t know anything about channels...I\'m still trying to decide what kind of MIDI interface and/or sound card, and whether or not to build multiple sampler PCs.

[This message has been edited by stevefu (edited 04-15-2002).]

If you get a reply from that LA man can you forward it to my e-mail. I am also using Sibelius 20 with GS. Thanx.
    mesruh@ug.bilkent.edu.tr

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size=\"1\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by lifeforce:
    Hmmmm. Thanks for these comments, Steve. Thought maybe I was the Lone Ranger on this one.

I\'m actually just running the Sibelius2 DEMO at this point - with GS96 - and this is working just fine. (and Win98se 256ram P550 is all I\'ve got!) As a classical musician youve gotta love Sibelius but I can see now that its gonna be memory intensive! So your commments are a good heads up. Maybe I cant have them both (when I have the full version of Sibelius2) running at the same time.

In that case I\'ll have to sequence to my nice little PowerTracks program (as usual) and then export this to Sibelius2 for notation clean up with a GM software synth or something. Hmmm...hassles! Also, I might try deleting some of the foofoo in Sibelius I guess - like the marbleized desktop views!

Do you know if there is anyplace to set CHANNELS in Sibelius? I just choose piano first in Sibelius and then load a piano in channel one of GS. Then I choose violin in Sibelius and put a violin in channel two of GS and so forth. And LO I can enter notes with nice sound and playback multi or solo correctly! So this was just dumb luck but I cant find much (except the mixer) that is at a true MIDI information level in Sibelius, like a sequencer program would have (and I realize Sibelius is not really a sequencer).

I wrote to Sibelius about use with GS and they gave me the email address of a Sibelius employee in Los Angeles who they said had worked with the two together. I\'ve written to him. If I learn anything interesting I\'ll post it here.

Good music to you, LifeForce
    <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Good to know, Soundex? Thanks for jumping in. How\'s the combination of GS and Sib going for you?

I got the real Sibelius 2 today (!) and uninstalled the demo. Dont ask me why, but I then installed the real program, configured it as my \"sequencer\" in GS and loaded up four (admitedly light) instruments in GS96, and played a bunch of rapid nonsense on four staves in Sibelius2 - and it all played back great ! (Whew)

Truly this must be dumb luck. I\'ve just got Win98se P3-550 256ram with two fast IDE hds. And this is just GS96 too! We shall see what happens as I start using mpre instruments with more voices and I get into fuller and more complex things - this was just a first quick test. But what a gas to be doing QUALITY classical notating-sequencing instantly with nice sample sounds instead of beepy synth sounds.

As for the LA man - he wrote back and said sorry but his colleague was mistaken, he had no experience with GS and he gave me the name of yet another Sibelius fellow who he thought might know about using these two programs together. Also this relevant quote from an insert in the current Sibelius2 box:

\" On some computers Sibelius uses a lot of system resources, which can in certain circumstances result in Windows producing errors or other system problems after prolonged use of Sibelius....(blah blah blah) ... Although only a small number of computers are affected by this problem, we expect to produce a fix soon.\"

Stevefu - thanks for the link to the Andrea Pessino article. I figured there had to be other people experimenting with this. If I hear anything useful from the new Sibelius guy that I\'ve written to I\'ll post it here and try to email it to you Soundex.

Good music to you both, LifeForce

Small world time! Have a look at this new thread over in Sample Libraries...
    http://www.northernsounds.com/ubb/NonCGI/Forum3/HTML/002314.html

Best, LifeForce

Lifeforce,

Good to hear you\'re having success with your setup! I looked into the Sibelius website and noticed that they\'re up to version 2.1, which has apparently addressed the resource problems under Win95/98/ME. Here\'s a quote from the readme:

\"System resource usage (Windows 95/98/Me)
    Sibelius\'s system resource usage has been significantly reduced. Users of these operating systems should no longer experience any crashes or other problems using Sibelius with other resource-intensive programs such as Nemesys GigaSampler and GigaStudio.\"

Here\'s the link to the readme:
    http://www.sibelius.com/helpcenter/updates/readme.rtf

Enjoy...

Go Back to forum