• Register
  • Help

Topic: "Fats" GPO

Share/Bookmark

"Fats" GPO

Curious as to how the GPO Steinway would sound playing some Fats Waller, here’s a quick mock up of one of his compositions (just for fun ).

Fats Waller, Smashing Thirds, 3:17, 4.6Mb

Thomas “Fats” Waller was among the most famous of the stride pianists of the pre-WWII jazz era and this is one of the best examples of his music. The GPO performance is based on a recording from late September, 1929 made in New York City for Bluebird records.

GPO-wise, this particular mock-up is especially useful in that it covers nearly the entire range of the piano.

Re: "Fats" GPO

Boy that GPO is sure useful. Hella good job Darwin. Shows how versatile the GPO Steinway is. From depressingly sad to swinging jazzy fun.

Darwin,

Very nice indeed. Waller's music is very fun to play. One of my favorites to play on the gig is his clever (and beautiful) Jitterbug Waltz. People sometimes remember him for his having clowned around a lot but his music is always the real deal.

I'd be curious to hear more about your translation of the 1929 recording to MIDI data. Did you convert the audio recording or a piano roll recording? Or did you just play it in with the original recording as a model? However you did this, it turned out great.

Tom

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Hopkins

I'd be curious to hear more about your translation of the 1929 recording to MIDI data. Did you convert the audio recording or a piano roll recording? Or did you just play it in with the original recording as a model? However you did this, it turned out great.

Tom
    Hi Tom,

I was rustling through some papers a few days ago and came across a transcription by Riccardo Scivales of this which I had forgotten all about. As it happens, I also have the Bluebird Records reissue of the New York recording session on which the transcription was based. So after entering the transcription into Overture, and from listening to the recording, I was able to edit the wrong/missing notes and try to inject some (small part) of Waller's feel/phrasing back into the midi playback.

As you might guess, I'm a big fan of stride piano. I hear it as the "bouncing baby boy" of ragtime and blues.

Go Back to forum