• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Topic: The Guide to MIDI Orchestration book

Share/Bookmark

The Guide to MIDI Orchestration book

Hello all forum readers. I want to take a few minutes of your time to let you know that my new book, The Guide to MIDI Orchestration, 3rd edition is now shipping. For those of you who are familiar with the 2nd edition, I thank you for your previous purchase and tell you that I am excited at what you will find in the new book. For those of you who have not heard of the book, please indulge me because of course, this is a sales thread. Interestingly, this product is a “one of kind” and as such, I don’t mind “bragging” on it a bit. Many of you have already preordered the book and I am posting this information for those who have not heard of it -- as an "FYI" thread (and yes, hopefully, we'll make a little money off of it as well).

Most of you have never heard of me or my book. I am a composer/pianist, classically trained-- four theatrical films from the mid 80's, tons of commercials, documentaries, television work/themes, album work (pop, adult alternative, jazz, smooth jazz, etc). My album The Eyes of the Morrow from 1997 sold more than 30,000 copies and was in the top 10 selling “new age” albums for several years. I have conducted many orchestras for recorded works as well as live performances. I have performed and been a featured soloist with the Atlanta Symphony Orchestra. I’m no James Horner, John Williams or others. However, like many of you, I am an excellent composer. My background is in composing/orchestrating for real orchestra. However, in the early ‘90s, my budgets began to get cut but my hiring producers wanted the “same” type of product-- full orchestra sound, excellent production values, big sound-- all on a new $5000 budget. Help!

Well luckily, the Vitous library was released about this time, and it and other libraries allowed me to fool the producers to a certain extent. In fact, I originally wrote the first book (which was actually a 65 page booklet) for my friends who wanted to know how I obtained so much realism in my MIDI orchestrations. The second edition was a real book (197 pages) that sold over 20,000 copies. It was written in a time when orchestral libraries, digital interfaces, computer recording and high end DAWs were in their infancy.

The third edition has taken over four years to complete and during this time, the sampling/digital recording/production world has changed dramatically. The book is far more than what I began to write in 2000. It is a hard bound, 700+ page book, full color throughout text that includes basic to intermediate orchestration information as well as info on how to achieve excellent results with your MIDI orchestrations. There is information on studio setup (over 90 pages) for MIDI orchestration techniques, plug-in reviews and use, section by section (and instrument by instrument) “how to” information, chapters on obtaining final mixes, a chapter on tempo changes, a chapter on using sampled choir in your works, interviews with industry heavy-hitters such as Bob Ludwig, Bob Katz, Patricia Sullivan, library developers, composers and more! And for those who want an “all in one” source, I have reviewed and include detailed implementation information for the majority of the major orchestral and piano libraries.

The book is currently used in many college courses and I think that the vast majority of you will find it informative, helpful and a “fun” read.

I have been a quiet observer of this forum for many years. There is no shortage of good ideas and talent here. For those who want to take their work to the next level, I hope that this book will enhance the compositional process and I encourage composers of all levels to check out our website at www.musicworks-atlanta.com

Thank you for your patience and interest through this post.

My best,

Paul Gilreath
    President
    Musicworks Atlanta

Re: The Guide to MIDI Orchestration book

Wow, what an exhaustive work you've completed there, thank you for making the effort, my order will be in as soon as my next paycheck arrives.

holy crap

its 700 pages now? Insane!
    Operation Mindcrime 2, in stores now.
    or go here...
    The Digital Bitphonic Orchestra
    -Ashif "Ash" Hakik

Cool! I already ordered mine. I look forward to diving into it.
    Chris

Yes, I've already ordered mine, but for $105 (including shipping) it had better be good...!

Daryl

Cool ! I've been waiting for the edition.

Fantastic... I've been waiting for this update for a long long time... Now I'll just have to wait for amazon.ca to receive it... shipping charges + customs are just too high when you order outside the USA.
    Martin Lachance, Composer
    www.martinlachance.com

Quote Originally Posted by MartinL
    Fantastic... I've been waiting for this update for a long long time... Now I'll just have to wait for amazon.ca to receive it... shipping charges + customs are just too high when you order outside the USA.
    Ditto that! All my book purchases are through Amazon.ca

Martin, did you mean outside Canada?

Quote Originally Posted by Looper
    Martin, did you mean outside Canada?
    Yeah, well... I meant when you order from outside the USA...
    Martin Lachance, Composer
    www.martinlachance.com

Just order it... Can't wait to read the book.

Go Back to forum