• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: Accordian Samples?

Accordian Samples?

I was wondering if anyone has any suggestions for accordian samples. I have a client coming into the studio next week and I have all the requested intruments except an accordian sample.

The only ones I have come across are:
    Accordianize at ($166.00) from Big Fish and
    Play the Tango ($86.00). from Big Fish which is a Bandeoneon I believe.

If I have overlooked any or if you have any other suggestions, I'd appreciate it.

Mark Dalzell / AudioScapes
    Las Vegas, NV.

Re: Accordian Samples?

24 bit "Classic Accordions" from Bardstown Audio. There are nine different high quality accordions in this two CD disk set. For more information and mp3 demos you can visit our web site at www.bardstownaudio.com

Kip McGinnis
    Bardstown Audio

Senior Member Bruce A. Richardson's Avatar
    Dallas, Texas

Kip's accordions are lovely, with lots of variety. All exquisitely recorded, but also, all very expertly maintained and set up. You sure can't go wrong with them.

There is a modelled harmonium (which can be used for accordian sounds as well) from Nusofting called "Peti". The URL I have is http://nusofting.liqihsynth.com/Peti.htm but it's not working for me at the moment. Despite being modelled (rather than relying on samples), it sounds really pleasant and "acoustic" to me.

Buy Kips' - no one comes close. After having them for 8 months, they still bring a smile to my face everytime I use them.

Rob Elliott Music

Post has a couple of accordions plus some other accordion like boxes and a set of button click and air sound samples. Haven't played with them too
    much. Just got them yesterday.

Do you do anything with regard to bellows dynamics on the accordions?
    I've poked around at the Post ones (just because they were packaged
    along with a bunch of other samples I bought from them).

What about the bass side of the accordions?

Sorry if this sounds picky, but I'm actually an accordionist so I'm curious.

The "Classic Accordions" samples were sample recorded with an even dynamic volume. You can use a wind controller in order to get that effect, or you can automate your volume on an audio track after you render the accordion from midi to audio.

There are no left hand bass note samples. In a mix with other instruments you really don't hear the left hand bass and chord notes on recordings with real accordions because typically the right hand keyboard melody side is where the mic is positioned. Quite often accordionists don't even play the left hand bass and chord notes when they are recording with other instruments. When you have an accordion musician, bass musician, guitarist, pianist, etc. in a session, you don't want to muddy up the mix with left hand accordion.

Kip McGinnis
    Bardstown Audio

I'll also recommend the Bardstown "Classic Accordions" library. It is the best that I have heard so far.

p.s. - I am also accordionist (since all of us are coming out of the closet now)

Thanks all for your response. Seems the overwhelming choice is Kip McGinnis's "Classic Accordions". I will definetly check our Bardstown Audio.

Go Back to forum