• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Topic: No more mixer channels?

Share/Bookmark

No more mixer channels?

I'm using Cubasis with GPO. I dont have a midi keyboard, I just write the midi sequences down in cubasis with the mouse. I go on the "VST Instruments" pannel and fill up the 1st, 2nd and 3rd slots with Personal Orchestra VST. The problem is I want to load more intruments, so I try to change the 4th slot to Personal Orchestra VST but I get a message saying "No more mixer channels". I am realy new to these programs and have tried to teach myself how to use them, but everything still seems daunting and confusing. Is there a way for me to get more mixer channels? If not, is there a way for me to load more instruments for my composition?

Any help will be much appreciated.

Richard.

Re: No more mixer channels?

Richard,

Your best bet would be to use the GPO Studio that came bundled with GPO. Set it up and use it as your MIDI inputs. That gives you more channels and more instances of the Kontakt player.

As far as more mixer channels, I believe if you use the VST version, you only have the four slots. That's why I suggested to use the studio host. Let me know if I can be of more assistance.

Good luck,
    Jonny
    For more information, check out www.jonathoncox.com/intro.html

"The trouble with music appreciation in general is that people are taught to have too much respect for music they should be taught to love it instead." - Igor Stravinsky

Quote Originally Posted by Richard Birdsall
    I'm using Cubasis with GPO. The problem is I want to load more intruments, so I try to change the 4th slot to Personal Orchestra VST but I get a message saying "No more mixer channels".
    I think in Cubasis you are limited to 3 instances/24 instruments.

I'm sure somebody else can comment on this as it has been discussed on the forum.

One alternative could be to pre-mix those 3 instances to audio tracks then clear up those 3 instances and load them with new instruments to work alongside the audio tracks.

By the way, as anyone done this successfully with Cubasis?

NDEE

In Cubasis, you can indeed only use 3 instances of GPO, as it only supports 48 tracks, which would be 24 stereo GPO instruments. That is definitely the limit as far as that goes.

One way to use more instruments is to use GPOStudio as Jonny suggests, but you need the latest beta version 1.2 to be able to record as a WAV from Cubasis. You cannot export to a WAV using GPOStudio as you can using GPO as a VST. Search for "Cubasis GPOStudio tutorial" and you'll find a link for a tutorial I wrote for more detail about how to do that. (My web server is currently down, but should be up within a day, so you may have to wait until later to access that.)

Another solution that worked well enough for me is to get up to your 24 instruments with GPO as a VST, then export to WAV. Start a new file and import that WAV file, then continue from there with more instruments.
    www.EricHermanMusic.com
    - Cool Tunes for Kids -

Richard,

Jonny is correct. Using GPO Studio is your best option for increasing capacity beyond 3 instances in real-time. Why is it limited to 3 instances instead of 4 when there is an additional slot available? Because Cubasis allows 4 instances OR 48 outputs. GPO has 8 stereo pairs of outputs (16 outputs) per instance. That leaves room for only 3 instances (3 x 16 = 48). GPO Studio will give you 8 instances.

Tom

Thanks for the help.

I would use GPO studio, but I can't because of driver problems (which ive posted for help about in the technical support forum). So I've gave up trying to use GPO studio.

Is there a way to use the 4th slot in the vst intruments pannel in cubasis? I can't use it because I get the "no more mixer channels" message after the 3rd slot is used? If I could use the 4th slot I would then be able to load the extra instruments.

Richard,

I guess I didn't make myself clear. There is a hard limit of 48 outputs. That is equivalent to 3 instances. 3 instances is the maximum possible in Cubasis. You may want to move on to a more full-featured sequencing program at some point, one without the built-in limitations.

Tom

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Hopkins
    Richard,

I guess I didn't make myself clear. There is a hard limit of 48 outputs. That is equivalent to 3 instances. 3 instances is the maximum possible in Cubasis. You may want to move on to a more full-featured sequencing program at some point, one without the built-in limitations.

Tom
    lol sorry, you where very clear, I just accidently skipped half of the replies on this page when I wrote that last post. Ive just came back on and noticed all the posts I missed.

Thank you all for your help, thats answered a lot of questions.

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Hopkins
    ...3 instances is the maximum possible in Cubasis. You may want to move on to a more full-featured sequencing program at some point, one without the built-in limitations.

Tom
    Tom, how would this "built-in limitation" be labeled on the spec sheet of a sequencer?

Is it the number of AUDIO outputs or VST outputs or something like that???

NDEE

Quote Originally Posted by Jonny Lost
    ...your best bet would be to use the GPO Studio that came bundled with GPO. Set it up and use it as your MIDI inputs.
    How do you set it up that way?

How is this set-up different than using GPO Studio as a VST plugin in Cubasis?

NDEE

Go Back to forum