• Register
  • Help

Topic: GPO Studio (was overture) latency

Share/Bookmark

GPO Studio (was overture) latency

OK, I'm back from my tests. Since I'm a late convert to GPO, everything was already up to the latest version (perhaps with the exception of Studio, I couldn't tell HINT TO DESIGNERS: Add an ABOUT GPO menu item to read out the version # so I don't have to go hunting for file versions).

My major latency issue that I thought was an overture problem turned out to be a bonehead error on my part with Studio. I thought since I had the single GPO player working fine, that the settings carried over to Studio. In fact the thing was configured to use my cheesy mobo sound card rather than the RME card (I should have been paying more attention to the RME VU meter app that would have told me what was plyaing).

There's still some latency but it's not horrendous like before. One question remains: When I start up STUDIO it dumps me into to some ASIO test program which ALWAYS says it fails (even though things seem to work OK afterwards). The pop up error refers to a troubleshooting PDF file which doesn't seem to match any PDF file on my GPO CD's. I poked around on the GPO website, and didn't find much help (other than to disable GIGASTUDIO which I'd already done).

I'm still having problems with Overture. I downloaded a demo copy of Sibelius which seems to work much better for me. I have some questions but they probably will be answered by reading the manual (which doesn't come with the demo download).

Any ideas on the startup test failure?

Re: GPO Studio (was overture) latency

Well, firstly, I don't understand why Sibelius would give better performace than Overture when using Studio since they are both sending information down the same path. But aside from that, it is usually necessary to let the ASIO setup process take place since this will select a default sound buffer, etc. If it is failing, then it may be necessary to select another driver. It sounds like the one you are using is less than stellar. I realize there are a few options (I have 8 drivers to choose from in Studio), but they all will give different performance based on their settings. Keep at it and I'm sure you'll find one that gives the performance you desire.

The remaining problems with Overture aren't anything to do with the latency, more to do with their recording mode. The FlexiTime mode of Sibelius is working better with my expressive (i.e., sloppy :-)) playing.

The interfaces offered are Direct Sound (which RME doesn't support), MME (not supported well) and ASIO (which supposedly is supported). It would be nice if there was some clue as to what it didn't like. Most times there are no "loss of sync" counted.

Quote Originally Posted by FlyingRon
    OK, I'm back from my tests. Since I'm a late convert to GPO, everything was already up to the latest version (perhaps with the exception of Studio, I couldn't tell HINT TO DESIGNERS: Add an ABOUT GPO menu item to read out the version # so I don't have to go hunting for file versions).
    That would be help/about
    David Viens, Plogue Art et Technologie Inc.
    Montreal. http://www.plogue.com

Arrow Re: GPO Studio (was overture) latency

FlyingRon,
    It sounds like you might not have the RME drivers installed. Have you installed them? Also, are you using the newest version of the drivers? Using RME, latency and sound quality both should not be an issue.

Sorry if the questions come of patronizing, they are not meant that way. Just trying to help.

-Kevin
    We are the music makers, we are the dreamers of dreams …
    24" 2.4 Ghz iMac, OSX 10.4.10, MOTU 828 MKII, 2 Glyph 250 Gig external drives, Logic 9, Finale 2008 GPO, JABB, Strad, Gro, Reason 4, EWQL Storm Drum, Adrenaline, Symphonic Choirs, SO Gold,All Arturia Synths, Many NI Synths, Spectrasonics Synths, KH Strings, VEPro on a Windows 7 4x 2.8 Ghz 12 gig of RAM

Go Back to forum