• Register
  • Help

Topic: An odd Overture question...

Share/Bookmark

Question An odd Overture question...

My wife and I recently started using Overture SE for our music notation and I like it better than the other notation software. Thanks for the tutorial Joseph! There's just one thing that I wish that we could change that the other programs DO have that Overture doesn't ( or at least not that I know of).

My wife is just starting to learn composition and her notation is still a little rough as well as mine. Finale has a feature where it won't let the user input incorrect note values in relation to the time signature. I noticed that Overture SE will let you put as many notes and you would like to regardless of what the time sig is. My question is, is there a feature in Overture SE that will do what Finale does. *I want Overture SE to prevent us from entering incorrect notes, rests, etc.* Can we do this?

Any help is appreciated!
    http://www.jamesjumonville.com

Captain Hook (if you see Pan let me know!)

Re: An odd Overture question...

Quote Originally Posted by capt_hook
    My wife and I recently started using Overture SE for our music notation and I like it better than the other notation software. Thanks for the tutorial Joseph! There's just one thing that I wish that we could change that the other programs DO have that Overture doesn't ( or at least not that I know of).

My wife is just starting to learn composition and her notation is still a little rough as well as mine. Finale has a feature where it won't let the user input incorrect note values in relation to the time signature. I noticed that Overture SE will let you put as many notes and you would like to regardless of what the time sig is. My question is, is there a feature in Overture SE that will do what Finale does. *I want Overture SE to prevent us from entering incorrect notes, rests, etc.* Can we do this?

Any help is appreciated!
    Not exactly. However there is an option somewhere in there (can't recall right now exactly under what menu) that will mark incorrect passages. I believe the option is under the Notes header. I believe it is set to 'off' by default. Check into that and see if it helps.

Exclamation Re: An odd Overture question...

The menu selection is Options/Show/Incorrect Rhythms. In theory, Overture should check from the beginning of the piece to the location of the cursor and look for any measures that have any extra or not enough notes/rests to correctly fill the measure. Unfortunately, I have not been able to get this to work. I might be missing something (Joseph has pointed out several things I have missed in the past), so I performed the following test:

1) Created a score using the Orchestra/Band template (the first one)

2) Created 5 quarter notes in measure one, 3 quarter notes in measure 2 and then two half notes in measure 3. This gives us measures 1 and 2 with incorrect notation and measure 4 with correct notation.

3) Place the cursor in measure 4 and select Options/Show/Incorrect Rhythms.

At this point, the cursor should move to measure one and the program should beep at you. What I have found is I just get a cursor that continues to happily blink in measure 4.

I only bring this up so that you do not get overly frustrated if you try using the feature and are not seeing what you expect. Overture is an excellent program and if this is a bug (we still don't know if it is, I could be doing something wrong) from what I hear GenieSoft is very responsive in fixing such problems.

-Kevin
    We are the music makers, we are the dreamers of dreams …
    24" 2.4 Ghz iMac, OSX 10.4.10, MOTU 828 MKII, 2 Glyph 250 Gig external drives, Logic 9, Finale 2008 GPO, JABB, Strad, Gro, Reason 4, EWQL Storm Drum, Adrenaline, Symphonic Choirs, SO Gold,All Arturia Synths, Many NI Synths, Spectrasonics Synths, KH Strings, VEPro on a Windows 7 4x 2.8 Ghz 12 gig of RAM

*I want Overture SE to prevent us from entering incorrect notes, rests, etc.* Can we do this?

I was using Finale, and as you said, I think that overture is much easier and simple to use, but finale offers a lot of possibilities that overture doesn't have.
    As I understand, the problem you have is very simple;
    If you're not sure about the number of value you have in a measure, select all the notes, go to the menu "notes" and then "transcibe" The extra notes will move on the next measure.
    But sometimes, it's a good thing to have extra notes, specialy when you have to write triplets...
    You'll find a tutorial on the website (www.geniesoft.com)
    Hope I'm helpfull
    L

Thumbs up Re: An odd Overture question...

Hey bmtl,
    Can you post a link to the tutorials on the Overture site? I've been up there several times but have never come upon any tutorials. It would be great to take a look at them.

BTW, Capn, if you have not gone through Joseph's *excellent* tutorial, you should. It is the best way I can think of for quickly ramping up on the product and learning some tips and tricks.

-Kevin
    We are the music makers, we are the dreamers of dreams …
    24" 2.4 Ghz iMac, OSX 10.4.10, MOTU 828 MKII, 2 Glyph 250 Gig external drives, Logic 9, Finale 2008 GPO, JABB, Strad, Gro, Reason 4, EWQL Storm Drum, Adrenaline, Symphonic Choirs, SO Gold,All Arturia Synths, Many NI Synths, Spectrasonics Synths, KH Strings, VEPro on a Windows 7 4x 2.8 Ghz 12 gig of RAM

There is no feature like this, but you can set your cursor to the beginning of the Score and choose Options>Show>Incorrect Rhythms, and if a measure is found with incorrect time, you'll here a beep, and the cursor will be left blinking in the offending measure.

Quote Originally Posted by capt_hook

Any help is appreciated!

Go Back to forum