• Register
  • Help

Topic: GPO and Pro Tools LE

GPO and Pro Tools LE

I'm wondering if anything has been fixed with the GPO and Pro Tools relationship since june (the last time a post was made about it). I've had GPO for quite a while, and had noticed that I had limited capabilities on my dual 2 G5 with 1 Gb ram with all updates. I thought I just didn't have enough ram, (these are some pretty big and great sounding instruments!) and so I didn't worry about it.

BUT! I just bought 2 more gigs of ram, and have noticed that the performance barely increased at all! For example, I tried loading an instance of GPO (as RTAS in Protools LE) with 8 different solo violin ensemble patches. It can play 1 note just fine. But, try to get it to play a scale at 120! OOOOH BABY! (smile) I get the first 3 notes followed by a nice and steady clicking sound. Apparently, this clicking sound is coming from the Kontakt player as both the VU meter on kontakt and the clicking sound gradually lower in levels over time.

Once again, I'm running OS 10.3.5 on a dual 2 G5 with 3 GB of Ram. GPO is also currently up to date with its latest version of kontakt player.

Any thoughts? Are we still just out of luck? (that really sucks, ya know?)

NW Illinois

Re: GPO and Pro Tools LE

Have you tried running GPO with a notation program thru GPO Studio and bypass ProTools completely? It would be interesting to see if that improves your performance or not.

I have also been having this problem. I bought GPO a few months ago but just recently started using it in ProTools LE on a Dual 2 gig G5 with 1.5 gig of ram. I have alot of problems with the Kontakt player freezing up and emitting a repetitive popping sound for as much as 10 seconds and then resuming play. I cannot, as you mentioned, play a quick series of notes without this problem even with just one instrument loaded. I was thinking that I just didn't have enough ram until your post. I have been looking through the forums for a solution but so far have not seen it.

This is an RTAS problem, not yours. As a ProTools user, on a Mix Plus TDM system, I to tried to follow the instrucions and use GPO as an RTAS plug in. Along with a half dozen other samplers. Before I upgraded to 6.4.1, I even tried GPO as an HTDM plug and had horrible latency. After the upgrade, using GPO as a TDM plug has been much, much better. Like 20 times the polyphony better with zero latency.The plugs run on the TDM chips and the samples are loaded into Ram. This is where Ram will help you. On an LE system, I know you don't have the option of doing this, but I can verify that it's not you, it's RTAS. I went through hell to confirm this. It dawned on me too, when an extra gig of Ram did nothing.
    There's no mention of using GPO as a TDM plug in the GPO manual, but it works great. The downside is that now I have to be more mindful of other TDM plug-in usage.The Kontakt player doesn't use much though.
    Digi is aware of the RTAS problem (as is NI) and hopefully will fix this in ProTools 7.
    You might try what I did when using RTAS. Which is to bounce to audio, track by track, to free up CPU resources (I know, it's a pain), and mix in ProTools which is where you want to mix anyway.
    You can always use GPO Studio as a standalone as mentioned above, even though it may defeat the reason you use ProTools.
    Good Luck, I feel your pain.

Thanks for the info. Maybe a good alternative would be to get the competitive upgrade to Digital Performer for now since it has built-in compatability with ProTools as well as notation and surround, which LE does not have. I gather from this site that GPO works fine in DP. After LE gets fixed DP will still probably be a good companion program to ProTools.

Yeah, thanks a bunch for the info. I was going to try the thing with notation this weekend, but given the new information - I'll spend my time creating music instead of troubleshooting. When I do try it, I'll let you all know how it works. (I'm assuming it will work just fine. That is, unless Sibelius 3 does the same thing as Pro Tools)

For now, I think I'm going to purchase DP4. Who knows when Pro Tools 7 is coming out, and if they will even fix these issues... I heard the Reverb plug-in for DP4 is amazing too.

(Boy, I wish I had over $10,000 for a TDM system...)

Go Back to forum