• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: Burning out...

Share/Bookmark

Burning out...

Guys. What helps you when you feel like you just can't take on any more freakin obligations and it feels like the weight of them is crushing you? I know hanging myself is an option, but, well, that's kind of drastic. So what do you guys think? Can't take a vacation, too expensive. Alcohol? I don't drink. Nothing illegal, mind. I burning up and I don't know what to do.

Here's my temporary solution:

A mantra: The weight of the world does not reside on your shoulders. No one really cares anyway, take a breath and relax, it'll all be better in the morning. Maybe it won't really, but its nice to think so, isn't it? Deep breaths....

Re: Burning out...

Joseph:

This kind of stress happens all too frequently, I'm afraid. I'm sure part of it is the awesome responsibility you assumed by making those Overture tutorials; please, take a break from that, we'll all still be here when you're ready to return (they are truly awesome, as everyone who's seen them has attested). Beyond that, spend a little while only doing _paid_ gigs, and things for yourself - don't do freebies for friends and acquaintances for awhile (that's one of my biggest problems). And finally, spend a couple of evenings in the company of a fine cigar. It sounds silly, perhaps, but it's much different than cigarettes... very relaxing. It really helps me.

bart

Quote Originally Posted by Joseph Burrell
    Guys. What helps you when you feel like you just can't take on any more freakin obligations and it feels like the weight of them is crushing you? I know hanging myself is an option, but, well, that's kind of drastic. So what do you guys think? Can't take a vacation, too expensive. Alcohol? I don't drink. Nothing illegal, mind. I burning up and I don't know what to do.

A mantra: The weight of the world does not reside on your shoulders. No one really cares anyway, take a breath and relax, it'll all be better in the morning. Maybe it won't really, but its nice to think so, isn't it? Deep breaths....

Try this:

Sit for a few minutes and realize how much of an impact you have had in peoples lives. Those who love you, those you call friends, and those you call colleagues. Wherever there is a question posted, or a demo shared, you have always been right there to share your thoughts and give your help. This pattern must also extend beyond our computer monitors. You conduct yourself with integrity and generosity. You give without asking. You are very well thought of here, and, I am confident, everywhere else you go. Think of the one question you answered that made someone’s day a little better, the encouragement that gave a person inspiration to create wonderful music. Often, we do not directly see the impact. But stop for a second, and know that it is there.
    "So what if some parts of life are a crap shoot? Get out there and shoot the crap." -- Neil Peart
    Hint:1.6180339887498948482 Φ

When I find myself in that kind of position, (which is more often than I care to admit with a wife, 3 kids, dog, job, baseball, piano, viola, cub scouts, cheerleading, soccor, homework, the list goes on and on and on...) I find that taking a vacation is not what will get me back on track. I don't drink either and can't see how alcohol could be of any help even if I did. So, what to do? In my case I spend time that is just for me. No kids, no computers, no anything except either a good book or a good notebook. Why the notebook? Because then I can write. I can write anything I want to. Good, bad, ugly. Sometimes I find myself counting my blessings, sometimes I find myself writing truly horrible things that I needed to get out. I seclude myself when I do it and the words are for me and me alone. (I tell my wife I need time and she respects the need, as I do for her.) Almost every time I am surprised what ends up on paper.

As I see it, I can't be strong for my family if I don't have a way to release and gather myself every once in a while.

Try something that you think might work for you. (My wife runs till she can't anymore.) You might find it to be helpful. Good luck!

-Kevin

P.S. I won't bother you with any Overture questions for at least 2 days.
    We are the music makers, we are the dreamers of dreams …
    24" 2.4 Ghz iMac, OSX 10.4.10, MOTU 828 MKII, 2 Glyph 250 Gig external drives, Logic 9, Finale 2008 GPO, JABB, Strad, Gro, Reason 4, EWQL Storm Drum, Adrenaline, Symphonic Choirs, SO Gold,All Arturia Synths, Many NI Synths, Spectrasonics Synths, KH Strings, VEPro on a Windows 7 4x 2.8 Ghz 12 gig of RAM

pray my friend,
    Kevin says count your blessings, that's a great way to relax.

J.B. - What you need is a nice "cooling off" period! Do what I do and just put it down for a while and regroup your thoughts. Everyone knows how hard you've been working on the tutorials. None of us would feel any different if in your place. Take a break and enjoy that beautiful family of yours! Life is too short for burnouts.
    Then, after you are all settled and feeling yourself again ... the GOP needs you to wire up their computer system all over!

Thumbs up Re: Burning out...

Guys. What helps you when you feel like you just can't take on any more freakin obligations and it feels like the weight of them is crushing you?
    Keep focused on your strengths and what you absolutely need to do. Accept the future...forgive the past...and stay committed to your passion.

This too shall pass.

Short answer:
    First, ask yourself whether you need this burnout feeling to justify something...
    If yes: Do it and the feeling disapears...
    If no: Every morning make a list of reachable goals for that day and stick to it. Learn to live with the fact that you cannot do more - even if you want. You may want to give this list to the people around you and give them a chance to help you.
    Learn: The feeling of burnout does not come from doing to much (that just makes you tired) - it comes from not reaching the unreachable... (if that makes any sense in english). Anyhow: adjust your expectations.
    Second: Change the last line of your posts: Smoking is a inefficent way to commit suicide.... Find something positive.
    take care
    fmfgs

Eh, I think I'll just start drinking my self into a surly oblivian.

Seriously, thanks for all your kind words. It truely makes it all worthwhile.

In addition to some of the great suggestions given by the others, there are a couple of other things you can try. It sounds like the most important thing is to learn to say "NO" to things when your plate is already too full. That can be difficult at times, I know, and it takes some practice.

Another other thing you can do is try Tai Chi. Do it first thing in the morning. It doesn't take long and really centers you. Since you are pressed for time, buy a video taped instruction instead of going to a live teacher. It's not as good as a live teacher but it's a good start.

Pick up a book on meditation. Try whichever type seems most interesting/useful to you. Initially, do it before you go to sleep. Eventually, you will find yourself calm enough to fit it into some spare moments during the day - when you need it most. Again, it doesn't take long but it works wonders for your state of mind and for dealing with stress. More than you might think.

These aren't necessarily quick fixes. It will take a little time for you to learn to "get in the zone" at a whim. If you are consistant, though, it doesn't take too long. You will find that the benefits will extend beyond your problems at the moment and into your life in general.

Best of luck. Remember that in your current state of stress, negative thinking or ignoring the cause of major stress, can actually lead to anxiety and clinical depression. However you decide to solve it, do it before you reach that stage!
    -Chad
    Me fail English? That's unpossible.

Go Back to forum