• Register
  • Help

Topic: New Monitors....Holy Crap!

Thumbs up New Monitors....Holy Crap!

sponsored links

Well...the time came this week where I had to replace and upgrade my studio monitors. I have been using Event 20/20bas monitors for the last 3 years or so and I have been pretty happy with them until recently. I think one is going out on me (...albeit intermittently...with some static in the tweeter). Even though it is probably on warrenty, I am going to get it fixed and sell them on ebay or something. I just can't be without a monitor for a while and I have an important project coming up at the end of next month. So...I went ahead and got my "dream monitors".....in my budget range anyway.

I took the plunge and bought the BLUE SKY "System ONE" 2.1 monitor system.

HOLY CRAP! I AB'd them at RSPE in Universal City and they were instantly the ones for me. But, when I got them home and hooked them up.....HOOOOLYYYYYY CRAPPPPPPP!

I love these. The detail is amazing. Of course, most anything would have been an upgrade to the Events. I considered the Mackie 824s for a small amount of time...and even the ADAMs...but to me, the BLUE SKYs just had a smoother response across the sonic spectrum. I ended up speaking with another purchaser in the lobby as I was waiting for my appointment...and he had also got the same system. He said he had mixed on them before and said your ears just don't get tired with the BLUE SKYs.

I guess Skywalker Ranch was on to something when they replaced most all of their monitor stations with these. Now I have to resist wasting time going back to all of my mixes over the last couple years and redoing them on these monitors. That would take a lot of time away from being productive on new things. Yikes!

You have to check them out if you are at all considering a change in your monitors. They have a couple cheaper systems more in a mid budget range, and don't let their size fool you. Easily upgradable to their 5.1 system (which was another factor in selecting these for me). I highly recommend the Blue Sky System One monitors.
    Brian W. Ralston

Check out my new FREE iPhone App! Click Here!

Re: New Monitors....Holy Crap!

Cool! I'm currently using (don't laugh) Roland DS-50As and am happy, but when I get down to actually mixing down some original material I'll probably upgrade.

This reminds me of when I took a tour of A&M Studios in the early 90s....in the Mastering studio they told us that they change out the monitors every week. At the time, the lacquer master for one of U2s albums was on the turntable. If I remember correctly, I wet my pants.

Re: New Monitors....Holy Crap!

Brian, I have heard these monitors are great for composers because they are soft on the ears in the highs and help the music to sound better. I have heard a pair myself and agree the music is nicely detailed/imaged and easy to listen to.

That being the case, I have also been warned that they aren't the greatest flat monitor around for mixing.

But then again I guess as long as you learn them and how they trasnlate, then why not.

I've been kicking around the idea of getting a pair but the Adams P11s and BM6 by Dynaudio seem to be getting high marks as well from others. Jump up in price to from the Blues, though.

Go Back to forum