• Register
  • Help

Topic: GPO Studio, XP and Sibelius

GPO Studio, XP and Sibelius

Hi everyone

I've just got GPO to use with Sibelius 3 under Windows XP, and I'm having some trouble with glitches on the audio when the system is playing.

The glitches happen at periods of reasonably heavy activity - but not so heavy that I would expect glitches - hence my query.

I'm using GPO Studio 1.2 with 12 instruments loaded, so that I can play back the Sibelius Hebrides Overture demo. At certain points in the music, the CPU meter in GPO Studio reaches about 82% - which corresponds roughly with the glitches - but the CPU meter in Task Manager only shows about half that - about 40%.... I am puzzled by this discrepancy!

I'm using a P4 2.8GHz with a Digi002Rack interface on an Asus mobo. Any help would be much appreciated!

Looking forward to getting this working seemlessly! Many thanks,

Re: GPO Studio, XP and Sibelius

Turn off the reverb plugin in Studio (Ambience.) That is causing you to have more CPU usage. There is a bypass button in Studio ver 1.2 which you say you are using.

Or you can turn down the quality level in the Ambience reverb within GPO Studio. I kind of like having the reverb still going, so that's what I usually recommend. You'll still get a fairly nice reverb even at 5% quality, though of course it's not as good as the 100% level. If you have a built in reverb on yuor soundcard, you could just bypass the reverb in Ambience (in GPO Studio 1.2), as Joseph suggested. Either way you'll save a lot of CPU and help avoid those spikes that cause glitches.

Exclamation Re: GPO Studio, XP and Sibelius

Hey pants,
    Also worth asking about - what kind of soundcard are you using and how much RAM do you have? The answers could shed some additional light on how to help...

We are the music makers, we are the dreamers of dreams …
    24" 2.4 Ghz iMac, OSX 10.4.10, MOTU 828 MKII, 2 Glyph 250 Gig external drives, Logic 9, Finale 2008 GPO, JABB, Strad, Gro, Reason 4, EWQL Storm Drum, Adrenaline, Symphonic Choirs, SO Gold,All Arturia Synths, Many NI Synths, Spectrasonics Synths, KH Strings, VEPro on a Windows 7 4x 2.8 Ghz 12 gig of RAM

Hey everyone!

Thanks for the replies - much appreciated.

I had already found that if I bypass the Ambience plug-in, the glitches disappear - but I was surprised that such a (seemingly) basic reverb plug (no offence intended here - I'm quite impressed with the sound of it) was causing such a processor load. Are there problems with the plug-in with CPU load spikes?

I hadn't noticed the quality control on the plug-in there - thanks for the heads-up Jeff!

For the record, I'm using a Digidesign Digi002Rack (which does not have built-in reverb), and I have 2GB of RAM.

I'm not a Windows XPert at all, but does anyone have any idea why the processor load reads so differently in GPO Studio, compared with Task Manager?!

Best wishes,

Go Back to forum