• Register
  • Help

Topic: More Pinhead Newbie Questions

Share/Bookmark

More Pinhead Newbie Questions

OK, yesterday I decided to play some more with GPO (my copy of the full up Kontakt also arrived but I haven't opened the box, and I hear that people are starting to get there GS3 upgrades so I may end up blowing some days playing with that).

Anyhow for jollies I took a rather involed 21-part MIDI file of Stars and Stripes forever that I downloaded of the net and fed it into Sibelius and started loading up instruments in Studio.

I tended to use the "ENS" version of the voices. It broke up horrible when I played. I went back and switched to solo instruments and things got better (other than to really make it sound right, I'm going to have to rescore the drum and cymbal lines to hit the right GPO notes, I don't know what this file is scored for, it doesn't sound right with a GM percussion on those tracks either).

Is the performance breakup problem a limitation of my machine/card or am I simply asking two much? Does an ENS voice take up more horsepower than a SOLO instrument, or am I on the edge of making it work and just got lucky. I also switched from wet to dry when going from solo to ens so I don't know if that makes a difference.

I have to say that I am impressed, this is the first thing I've really played through it that wasn't just me playing "theatre organist" on several keyboards driving GPO directly.

Re: More Pinhead Newbie Questions

Voices = Horsepower

I'll put it like this if you load 3 ensemble patches playing unison you are using at a minimum, three voices. If you load a solo instrument playing one note you are using one voice. This directly correlates into CPU usage. However, you mentioned using the wet version of the ensemble patches, well that could be the issue. I'd try it again with the dry patches and see what mileage you get. Also, if you are using Studio, turn down the quality of the Ambience reverb plugin or turn it off altogether by using the bypass button (version 1.2 only.)

Hi FlyingRon,

Only use dry versions of the sounds. Add the reverb later. The Ens. Patch is a solo patch, or to put it better, it was derived from a solo patch. The idea is to group a few Ens. Patches into small groups (ensembles), then build your orchestra from these groups. Without knowing your setup, itÕs hard to be sure if you equipment is adequate. GPO does work with limited horsepower, but the more ram and faster machine you have the better.

Best of luck,

Karl

I figured out that I probably wanted the dry patches and then apply the processing to the "band" as a whole. I wasn't sure whether the ENS patches were horsepower wise several instruments or whether they were just one instrument (a sample of several trumpets or whatever playing together).

The system is a 3GHz 800M FSB P4 system with 1GB of memory.

The only things active at the time were GPO Studio and Sibelius.

-Ron

Counter-intutive as it may seem, the ensemble instruments are solo samples. Everything in GPO is solo except the section strings. The point of the ensemble samples is that you can layer them together to create and ensemble without getting phasing. As such, they won't individually require more cpu or ram to run. Obviously they will do, if you use them the way they were intended.

Your PC is plenty powerful. What's your soundcard, and what drivers are you using? What is your latency set to? Maybe it's that kind of thing....
    "A composer is a guy who goes around forcing his will on unsuspecting air molecules,often with the assistence of unsuspecting musicians"

Quote Originally Posted by deadbeat
    Your PC is plenty powerful. What's your soundcard, and what drivers are you using? Maybe it's that.
    It's an RME HDSP 9652, I've got the latest of everything (drivers, GPO updates, etc...).

FlyingRon,

Just wondering: Do you still have this problem when you use only the dry instruments?

Tom

ron
    Does changing the buffer size on the hammerfall configuration panel change the number of dropouts?
    fmfgs

Quote Originally Posted by fmfgs
    ron
    Does changing the buffer size on the hammerfall configuration panel change the number of dropouts?
    fmfgs
    I tried a few settings either side of the 256 that it was set at (not sure which way I want to change it). Didn't seem to make a noticable difference.

Go Back to forum