• Register
  • Help

Topic: Sonar 4

Sonar 4

Since I know a bunch of people here use Sonar for sequencing, i thought you'd guys would be interested it this:

That's right, Cakewalk is releasing Sonar 4 at the end of the month. It was a lot of great features that 3 lacked. Even though 3 came out only about a year ago, and I've only had it for a couple months, i'll probably upgrade anyways, and just whine about having to spend more money...

Re: Sonar 4

This is a must have. I can't wait until October. It is just too beautifull. The upgrade price from 3.1.1PE is a real steal ($179)

Now I have to find out more about getting suround configuration studio monitors.

Perhaps of most significance to GPO users (at least to this one!) is that apparently the new freeze function not only releases CPU but also releases RAM from the instruments on the frozen tracks.
    - Cool Tunes for Kids -

I'll definitely be getting the upgrade, though I'll let someone else be the guinea pig first!

I am a little frustrated with Cakewalk on this, though. I've upgraded quite a number of times over the past 6 or so years I've been using Calkwalk/Sonar. Don't get me wrong... every upgrade has been fantastic (especially Sonar 2&3. But they tend to stop fixing bugs about 2 months after release, and you never hear from them until the next upgrade is ready. Sonar 3 still has a few built-in frustrations in this regard, and it feels a bit like I'll be paying them $179 to fix their bugs.

Oh well. The bleeding edge is expensive, I guess.
    - Jamie Kowalski

All Hands Music - Kowalski on the web
    The Ear Is Always Correct - Writings on composition

Out in left field

Does anyone experienced in the ways of software pricing know what will likely happen to the presumably thousands of boxes of PE3 editions once 4 actually begins shipping? Any chance of getting PE3 at a dramatically reduced price? Or are they recalled from the retailers and "disappeared" like Dunbar in Catch 22? AudioMidi has this deal:

What's especially compelling to me is the promise of a free upgrade.

It's not that I'm cheap, it's just that I do not have the money until sometime in October, and I'm wondering whether I need to try, by hook and crook, to borrow the money this month, or whether there will be likely sweet deals for PE3 in the future.

While Houston and others have recommended Cubase, I've been practicing with GPO through the Sonar demo, and know that I like it very much, so am inclined to go that way. But is September a sort of "last call" before the price shoots out of my league?

Go Back to forum