• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: Purchased new system... comments please

Share/Bookmark

Purchased new system... comments please

I just got off the phone with a Dell sales person and made a purchase. Could someone tell me if there are any glaring errors in the purchase that I made.

Dell XPS Desktop (tower)
    3.4 ghz Pentium 4 processor (I know, I'll turn off the HT)
    800 FSB
    2 gig DDR2 SCRAM at 533MHz
    Windows XP home edition, first service pack
    128MB PCI Express x16 ATI RAdeon X800 video card suitable for...
    Two Flat panel monitors, A) 20 inch and B) 17 inch
    Three hard drives:
    80 Gig 7,200 SATA (for the OS, Gigastudio, Finale)
    160 Gig 7,200 SATA for samples
    160 GIG external hard drive for destination audio files
    No sound card (I'll get an Echo or something similar GSIF-2 seperately)
    No speakers (I'll get a mixer and monitors later)
    16X DVD-ROM and 16X DVD+RW
    Dell quiet keyboard
    3.5 Floppy disc drive
    Dell 2-button mouse
    8 USB ports
    2 Firewire ports

True mobile adapter for wireless connection

It will also come with Word Perfect office 12, Sonic "record now," Microsoft Money, Dell Jukebox, Adobe acrobat "elements" and I will install Finale 2005. i am also getting Norton's Internet security... but I will not be using this computer to surf the net and will connect only for registration and upgrades.

No printer

I told the sales rep not to incluce the Sound blaster Audigy 2 THX sound card, but I can see that it is "included" in my order confirmation fax.

1) Please tell me that the 160 GIG hard drives are not too big.
    2) I hope that the external hard drive as a destination drive is okay
    3) Should I call back and clarify that I do not want that sound card?

Thanks!!!

David

Re: Purchased new system... comments please

Quote Originally Posted by chambermusic
    I just got off the phone with a Dell sales person and made a purchase. Could someone tell me if there are any glaring errors in the purchase that I made.

Dell XPS Desktop (tower)
    3.4 ghz Pentium 4 processor (I know, I'll turn off the HT)
    800 FSB
    2 gig DDR2 SCRAM at 533MHz
    Windows XP home edition, first service pack
    128MB PCI Express x16 ATI RAdeon X800 video card suitable for...
    Two Flat panel monitors, A) 20 inch and B) 17 inch
    Three hard drives:
    80 Gig 7,200 SATA (for the OS, Gigastudio, Finale)
    160 Gig 7,200 SATA for samples
    160 GIG external hard drive for destination audio files
    No sound card (I'll get an Echo or something similar GSIF-2 seperately)
    No speakers (I'll get a mixer and monitors later)
    16X DVD-ROM and 16X DVD+RW
    Dell quiet keyboard
    3.5 Floppy disc drive
    Dell 2-button mouse
    8 USB ports
    2 Firewire ports

True mobile adapter for wireless connection

It will also come with Word Perfect office 12, Sonic "record now," Microsoft Money, Dell Jukebox, Adobe acrobat "elements" and I will install Finale 2005. i am also getting Norton's Internet security... but I will not be using this computer to surf the net and will connect only for registration and upgrades.

No printer

I told the sales rep not to incluce the Sound blaster Audigy 2 THX sound card, but I can see that it is "included" in my order confirmation fax.

1) Please tell me that the 160 GIG hard drives are not too big.
    2) I hope that the external hard drive as a destination drive is okay
    3) Should I call back and clarify that I do not want that sound card?

Thanks!!!

David

Looks good. No real "errors". I would suggest a larger sample drive, say 250 gig, as they fill up fast. Cut back on the size of the audio drive if necessary. Why does the audio drive need to be external. If Dell does not offer it as an option, just have someone add another internal slave drive to your motherboard. Oh, I just realized you have 2 DVD drives, which takes up the extyra slot. I would keep the RW DVD drive, nix the other one and make the third drive internal -- less hassle. Either way, I bet you'll be happy. Good luck.

Well, actually there is a free upgrade to 250 gigs for one of the hard drives. I hesitated to do this because there are warnings about having too big of a hard drive for the samples. Has the experience been that a 250 GiG hard drive (7,200 rpm) works well?

I got the feeling that there was no way that Dell would install a third hard-drive into the computer and that an external was the only option.

This computer comes with Firewire. Is there any problem with me purchasing the Echo Layla as my sound card? If I understand correctly, the Layla connects via firewire.

Thanks,

David

you should put the 3rd drive into that case and build a raid level 0 if possible and if your motherboard supports raid.

I spoke to the folks at Tascam who indicated that a 3rd, external hard drive should be fine if one uses a fast connection. He suggested firewire over USB2, from personal preferences. Fortunately, my computer has two firewire outlets and the external drive will connect to it.

I did have one unusual problem with Dell. Let me say that the sales people were trained to be extremely polite and useful. However.... there was a free upgrade on the hard drive. From 80 gigs to 250 gigs free-of-charge. I first declined this, noting the Tascam warning to not go [much] over 80 gigs for the sample drive. But the experienced individuals on this forum emphatically suggested 250 gigs. And the Tascam support staff told me that the warning to not go over 80 gig was "out-of-date." (So why don't they change it??) So I called Dell back and asked for the upgrade. But they would not upgrade the second hard drive (for the samples), just the first hard drive (that has the OS and gigastudio). In other words, I pay for an 80 gig drive and they will upgrade it for free to 250 gig. I pay for a 160 gig hard drive and they will not upgrade that one for free (instead of the first). I don't get it.

I will write to them about this, but it looks like I will have a huge hard drive with Gigastudio, windows and Finale and just a 160 gig hard drive for the samples. Not that 160 gigs is bad, but, I would have liked the advertized free upgrade.

David

Can't you just reformat and swtch the drives. Make the 160 the prog and 250 for samples. Or are you counting on them to set up the computer programs for you as well.

Quote Originally Posted by chambermusic
    I would make sure you have a high-speed Ethernet connection on it. With newer computers, an Ethernet port is included on the motherboard. You will need this port if you ever end up "networking" this computer with another (e.g. devote this computer to GigaStudio and have your sequencing software on another one).

Regarding the audio card, I would keep it. You can easily have two "audio interfaces" in your computer. I have a Dell 8200 with a SoundBlaster card still in it, and I installed a MOTU PCI card also. You can always remove it if you need the PCI card slot (for more USB or Firewire ports for example).

Regarding hard drives, if Dell only lets you have the 250GB on the "main drive", go ahead and get it -- it won't hurt. Adding a second drive isn't very hard at all. When I bought my Dell, they refused to install a second hard drive, so I ordered a second one from Dell, and then made them spend time with me on the phone when it arrived to help make sure I was installing it correctly.

Definitely get the biggest drives you can. I have 2 60GB drives inside my Dell, and have two 250GB external drives which are filling up fast. Get a big sample library or a few of the sample library based "virtual instruments", and they eat up disk space fast. Here are some examples of space requirements for some GIGA libraries:
    - VSL Complete Orchestral Package, First Edition 93 GB
    - VSL Complete Orchestral Package, Pro Edition 238 GB
    - NDB Organ Samples 25 GB
    - PMI Emperor 4 GB
    - PMI Old Lady 4 GB

Thanks for your replies.

Actually took the "free upgrade" and made the first hard drive 250 gig. I went ahead and paid extra and made the second internal hard drive also 250 gig. I also have an external hard drive via firewire (or USB2) that is 160 gig.

I thought the only strange thing is that Dell could not remove the soundblaster sound card. It must come with the system. I guess I will have to remove it myself or simply turn it off.

David

And the Tascam support staff told me that the warning to not go over 80 gig was "out-of-date."

Thats good to know,I recieved a email from Tascam also stating not to go above 80 gigs because of the size of the plater on larger drives are to thin and wont with stand the strenuous demand from Giga.
    They should have sent a email in reference to hard drive size saying "never mind"
    I get the inpression there are alot of people at Tascam with alot of different opinions .
    This is not the first time that Tascam have contradicted their own statements.

In reference to the hardware nessasary for your computer .
    Didnt I hear gigastudio 3.0 will have the ability to use a virtual GSIF card.
    So basically you can buy any sound card of choice regarless if it has GSIF support or not even have a sound card on a computer if you are networking with a second one that has one.
    Am I correct in my understanding ?

Go Back to forum