• Register
  • Help

Topic: When are samples duplicated?

Share/Bookmark

When are samples duplicated?

I\'m new to Giga. It seems that under certain circumstances, when creating \"modified\" versions of existing instruments, that instruments samples get duplicated on my hard drive.

I can\'t quite tell what\'s going on, since the actual samples seem to be hidden.

1: Why is that, and what can be done about it?

Also, When instruments are deleted, how can you be sure that corresponding samples have also been deleted? this \"hide the samples\" thing makes no sense at all.

2: I want to make multiple versions of certain instruments. for instance, i\'d like to take my favorite solo violin, and make versions with various tunings. Chromatic, Meantone, various amounts of stretch, etc etc etc. There is no reason to duplicate the samples, but in my experiments so far it seems like this is happening. Is this true or false?

What preoceedures DO cause samples to be duplicated?

Re: When are samples duplicated?

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size=\"1\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Allan Speers:
    I\'m new to Giga. It seems that under certain circumstances, when creating \"modified\" versions of existing instruments, that instruments samples get duplicated on my hard drive.

I can\'t quite tell what\'s going on, since the actual samples seem to be hidden.

1: Why is that, and what can be done about it?

Also, When instruments are deleted, how can you be sure that corresponding samples have also been deleted? this \"hide the samples\" thing makes no sense at all.

2: I want to make multiple versions of certain instruments. for instance, i\'d like to take my favorite solo violin, and make versions with various tunings. Chromatic, Meantone, various amounts of stretch, etc etc etc. There is no reason to duplicate the samples, but in my experiments so far it seems like this is happening. Is this true or false?

What preoceedures DO cause samples to be duplicated?

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

This is just a guess...and I\'m pretty new to Giga myself (so sorry if you already know all this stuff - or if any of it is not correct), but if you\'re saving new .gig files created by modifying old ones, then the samples are being duplicated. Whereas if you were creating different instruments within the same .gig file (for your different tunings, etc.), it would still be using the same samples as is for the unmodified instruments.

As for when you delete instruments and you want to delete the unused samples, I don\'t think there\'s any way to tell - I think you just have to know what\'s going on in the instruments that you deleted, and know which samples were unique to them. Actually, I think if you attempt to delete samples that are in use, you\'ll get a warning message.

Re: When are samples duplicated?

There is a save option in the File menu which will automatically delete unsused samples from a gig file if you want. It\'s called \"Save Limited.\"

The samples are not hidden at all. They are fully listed in the left pane below the instrument window. You can right click any sample to open it in your audio editor. Once a sample is imported into Giga it becomes part of the .gig file and is not viewable on your disk as a separate entity--but you can very easily import, export, edit them etc. to your heart\'s content when Giga\'s editor is open. Is this a problem?

[This message has been edited by Doug Marshall (edited 04-23-2002).]

Go Back to forum