• Register
  • Help

Topic: Graduation in September??

Share/Bookmark

Graduation in September??

Hi All!

I was looking through some old scores and found a scetch i wrote for a contest entry 5 years ago.

A community college in Louisiana had a contest for a composer to write them a new processional march for their graduation ceremony. They wanted a "Pomp and Circumstance" sounding piece without it being too much so.

Unfortunately I learned about the contest too late and never finished the piece and promtly forgot about it. But after looking over what little I HAD written last week i thought I would orchestrally flesh it out and see what it was like. I never would have done this without having the GPO!!

Here are the results:
    http://home.comcast.net/~jerrysmusic...onal_March.mp3
    It is short (2:00) but is written to be able to be repeated ad nauseum.

Comments and suggestions are welcome. I probably won't be doing much to this though, as it isn't a real project anymore, but you never know..... This may have a use sometime in the future, so suggestions and comments are welcome.
    Thanks again for listening!!

Jerry Wickham

My instrumentation:

Flute solo vib
    Oboe 2 modern solo
    Clarinet Bb ens 1
    Bassoon solo 1
    F.horn overlay F
    Piccolo trumpet no vibrato
    Trumpet Ens 1
    Tbone Ens
    Tuba solo
    Contratuba solo

Basic Orchestral Percussion (Bass drum/timpani/ cymbals etc)

Violins 1 & 2 Lush
    Violas lush
    Cellos lush
    Basses Lush

Violins 1&2 Short Bows
    Violas short bows
    Cellos Short bows
    Basses Short Bows

Violin 1 & 2 trills (whole)
    MacBook Pro Intel Core 2 Duo 2.5ghz 4GB Ram OSX 10.5.8
    Korg TritonLe & MAudio Oxygen 8
    T3, Logic 9, DP7, K2, GPO4, Strad, Gofriller, C&MB, Finale 2010

My Website!
    New Film Scores!
    Also, Ever think about having your very own personal documentary? See my new Website!
    http://www.mylegacyfilm.com

Re: Graduation in September??

I'd rather hear this than ol' Pomp and Circumstance any day. Very nicely done. Too bad this wasn't around when I took the walk down the long road to my doom. Oh wait, I didn't graduate college, I'm a flunky. Oh well.

Jerry,

It's a shame the school never heard this. I think it fit perfectly for what was intended. A certain amount of pomp and circumstance, but not bombastic. I imagine a lot of us have pieces that were never finished for a variety of reasons. GPO does give us that reason to bring them back. Keep looking thru thoses old scores and give us morer.

Jeff

Hi Jerry,

Nice job, very "academic"!

Allen

Thumbs up Re: Graduation in September??

I hope this doesn't come off as too stern, but this piece seems almost “too close” to Elgar’s piece for me. Also, I wonder if the pace should be almost identical or if a change (of pace!) would be refreshing.

I really like some of the woodwind and brass lines and think that they could be developed further. It would be wonderful if the piece were more in the realm of 6 minutes so the repeats didn’t need to be as many for (say) a 20-minute procession. If I were commissioned for this sort of piece (and that won’t happen) I would be tempted to toss in some “variations” and a finale so that the piece code be something like “A-B-A-C-A-D-A-coda”.

Thanks for sharing! KevinKauai

Hi all,
    Thanks for the comments!

Joseph, I agree, not that I am trying to be disrespectful of Elgar, but that piece has been on overkill for about 50 years now! But - we cling to traditions.

Jeff, Thanks for the comments - I suspect you are right - we all have little pieces that we start for some reason and then never get around to developing or what-not. GPO gives us the impetus to at least see it fleshed out. (Any of these kinds of pieces lingering around in YOUR studio?

Allen, Thanks for the compliment. I was definitely trying to sound that way.

Kevin, thanks for responding. IF this were a real project again, I would most certainly take you up on your wonderful suggestion and expand and vary this music - It is repetitive enough - making it longer and more varied would put less strain on people's ears as they watch their loved ones march to their doom! I would take you up on the advice right now if I didn't need the time to work on other projects that more important and time sensitive.

Thanks again for ALL your comments. (and for those of you who haven't left any, please feel free to do so!)

Thanks,

Jerry Wickham
    MacBook Pro Intel Core 2 Duo 2.5ghz 4GB Ram OSX 10.5.8
    Korg TritonLe & MAudio Oxygen 8
    T3, Logic 9, DP7, K2, GPO4, Strad, Gofriller, C&MB, Finale 2010

My Website!
    New Film Scores!
    Also, Ever think about having your very own personal documentary? See my new Website!
    http://www.mylegacyfilm.com

Go Back to forum