• Register
  • Help

Topic: A Carolan Piece

A Carolan Piece

a bit of music by the 18th century harpist Toirdhealbhach Ó Cearbhallain or Turlough O'Carolan. it's a planxty called Morgan Magan.

hope you like it.

mick ó c

Re: A Carolan Piece

I get a message saying "Cannot open" on both the lo-fi and hi-fi versions. Sorry.

there was a bit of a problem on soundclick yesterday, but it seems to be alright now.

mick ó c

Orcas Island

Very nicely done. Again you captured the spirit of the the music of the magic isle.

O'Carolan is one of my favorite harp composers and I have played this piece many times on my Celtic harp.

The beautiful melodies of O'Carolan can be found in the repertories of nearly every Celtic and Irish music group. Turlough O'Carolan (1670-1738) was one of the most famous harpists that ever lived and perhaps no person in Irish music is more beloved than this harper/singer/composer.

When he was eighteen, he caught small pox which left him permanently blind. A local noble woman saw to it that he was trained in the Irish harp and this awakened in him a latent gift for music. He made his living traveling from estate to estate and castle to castle, entertaining some of the most famous and wealthy people of Ireland at the time. Over 200 of his tunes have survived and have been popularized by the Chieftans, Clannad, Eric Bell and others.

Here is a good resource for all things O'Carolan.

Thank you for posting this. Time to break out the harp.

Gary Garritan

Quote Originally Posted by Garritan
    Time to break out the harp.

Gary Garritan
    yeah gary go for it. i love hearing real harpists playing Carolan.
    and thanks for the encouragement.

mick ó c

Go Back to forum