• Register
  • Help

Topic: changing CPU on asus p4b533 ?

Share/Bookmark

changing CPU on asus p4b533 ?

hi! maybe some tech guru can help! :-)

i have an asus p4b533-e actually with a 2.4Ghz northwood with creamware pulsar system

since i need some more processing power for GPO, but don't want to change all the PC which i bought last christmas (ok ,i should have bought something faster...), i wonder about changing the CPU

if i switch to a 2.8 - 3 GHz how much power will i gain?

another question: my MoBo is FSB533. what happens if i mount a CPU which support FSB at 800Mhz? will it work or not? (i know that i will not use the faster FSB)

Re: changing CPU on asus p4b533 ?

You will get a small increase in speed but I'm not sure if it's worth it. The faster processor will work but it will only be at the 533 FSB speed. Personally I don't think it's worth the money.

A better upgrade would be to get a new motherboard with at least an 875 chipset that gives you a 800 FSB, faster memory and SATA drives. Then you will definitely see an increase in speed! I also purchased a case, quiet CPU fan and power supply and built a whole new computer. My 2.4 GHz machine is now a secondary machine which I use for harps, pianos, celeste, etc.

I find it hard to believe a 2.4 Pentium can't handle GPO.

Quote Originally Posted by kitekrazy
    I find it hard to believe a 2.4 Pentium can't handle GPO.
    don't know what's wrong, but after 3 instances of GPO i get ASIO click. i mount a creamware system (with latest driver release) with pulsar1+luna+pulsar SRB. i did all the possible optimisations, but i don't get as much power i would expect...

I don't think a new processor will help. You should get plenty of performance from your setup. Seems like an audio driver issue. Why don't you try roll back the drivers to an earlier version.

I was running up to 10 instances on my 2.4 GHz machine with up to 50 instruments loaded and getting close to 200 stereo polyphony. So it may be a driver issue. I'm using the VST version in Sonar.

i'm speechless... :-(

Just another note about my setup. The OS is stripped of all non-music apps and all fancy graphics in Windows XP have been shut off for best performance. There is no virus scanner or firewall software running - these apps do affect performance quite heavily. The only apps running are the mixer for my Ego-Sys WaveTerminal soundcard, Sonar 3.1.1, Kontakt 1.5.3 and Kontakt and Kompakt players. I also have MIDIoverLan for my separate GigaStudio machine. No other optimization has been done on this system.

Arrow Re: changing CPU on asus p4b533 ?

bosone, have you checked with Creamware to verify the chipset on your motherboard is friendly for the Pulsar? Having a chipset not recommended by the audio card manufacturer can cause all sorts of problems. (I speak from experience that my therepist is patiently helping me through. )

As said before, the jump from 2.8 to 3.0 is not worth the dollars and the recommendation to get a newer motherboard with a faster front side bus and a newer (audio card manutacturer recommended) chipset will give you *much* more bang for your buck.

-Kevin
    We are the music makers, we are the dreamers of dreams …
    24" 2.4 Ghz iMac, OSX 10.4.10, MOTU 828 MKII, 2 Glyph 250 Gig external drives, Logic 9, Finale 2008 GPO, JABB, Strad, Gro, Reason 4, EWQL Storm Drum, Adrenaline, Symphonic Choirs, SO Gold,All Arturia Synths, Many NI Synths, Spectrasonics Synths, KH Strings, VEPro on a Windows 7 4x 2.8 Ghz 12 gig of RAM

Go Back to forum