• Register
  • Help

Topic: Latency great at launch, but then...

Share/Bookmark

Latency great at launch, but then...

Hi,

I\'m running Gigastudio 96 on:

Dell Inspiron 8000, 850 PIII, 512MB Memory, 80 GB Firwire HD
    Echo Layla 24
    Win XP

I\'m running Sonar XL on the same machine. Basically I\'m happy with the setup except one annoying problem. When I first launch Giga and then Sonar, I get great latency and a very responsive keyboard (midiman over layla interface). Then, as time goes by, the latency gets worse and worse until it\'s unplayable. When I close and relaunch Sonar I\'m back to great latency again, but then it gets worse and worse again. It seems to be an issue of time, rather than usage, because I can just leave the setup alone for 5 or 10 minutes and the same thing happens. Relaunching Sonar every 10 minutes gets tedious.

Does anybody know what the problem is??

Thanks
    -Dakes

Re: Latency great at launch, but then...

I have this same problem with SonarXL. Plus, a few others have mentioned the same problem on the Cakewalk Sonar forum.

So far Cakewalk hasn\'t been any help. Nevertheless, it appears to be Cakewalk\'s handling of the midi devices. If I send midi directly to Gigastudio, I get zero delay. If I go through Sonar (i.e. to sequence the midi), the midi input delay increases over time, which indicates Sonar being the problem. The Sonar midi input delay increases regardless of if Gigastudio is running or not.

I can reset the Sonar midi input delay by simply opening the Midi Devices dialog, and closing it. So what I\'ve done is bind a key (Ctrl-M) to pop up this dialog, then I can just hit enter to close it. Much easier than re-starting Sonar every 10 minutes.

I just got the SonarXL 2.0 upgrade, but haven\'t installed it yet to see if this fixes the problem.

Anyway, hope this helps.

------------------
    James Grote - http://www.BrainFeverMusic.com

James,

Thanks for the tip! I\'ve been using the ctrl-m trick you suggested, and it\'s a big improvement on closing and restarting Sonar.

Have you installed Sonar 2 yet? If so, does it handle latency better than 1.0?

Thanks,

Dakes

I wasn\'t sure if it\'s SONAR\'s problem. Now seeing you two here, I\'m sure.

Yet fortunately for me it\'s once in a while. Sometimes there is this problem, sometimes not - well, mostly not. And even when it does, it won\'t be as ridiculous as 10 minutes. Instead it\'s like 2 or 3 hours. And yes, closing then relaunching SONAR would solve the problem.

Hi all,
    Happy to see I am not the only one with this problem. Strange thing is, when I was using sonar1.02 with giga V.2 under 98se, I didn\'t have that problem. Now I just switched to XP, sonar 2 and giga 2.51, and the \"growing over time latency issue\" has just appeared. My setup is :
    P4 1.6, 512 RAM, 2 Audiophiles 2496, dedicated sample drive on raid card. The control-M method really helps save time thanx alot for the input, but has anyone got closer to fixing the problem? No news from sonar support....

Go Back to forum