• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: GS3-Hyperthreading-Windows OS-???

Share/Bookmark

GS3-Hyperthreading-Windows OS-???

I've been running GS2.54 on a Windows 2000- p4 3.2 machine w/ HT enabled- and everything works VERY well... I really get alot of performance out of GS, even with HT.
    My question regards GS3-Hyperthreading-Windows OS:

Due to a strange problem with my sound playback when HT disabled in the BIOS (here are links to a few threads at different forums dealing with this crazy problem... maybe some of you guys can help me out with it) my sound playback is horrible with HT disabled.

http://www.northernsounds.com/forum/...ad.php?t=24155

http://discussions.virtualdr.com/sho...372#post858372

http://forum.msi.com.tw/thread.php?threadid=59563

I'm wondering if HT must be disabled in BIOS for GS3, or if one can use the affinity settings in task manager for Win2000, or the compatability tool for XP to disable HT for only GS3. (so it can remain enabled for other processes).

Windows 2000 Pro SP4
    MSI 865PE Neo2
    P4 3.2
    2 GIG RAM
    Terratec EWX 24/96

Also, I think I'll try my luck with GS3 and Win2000SP4 - Has anybody tried the software with 2000, and if so how is your experience?

Re: GS3-Hyperthreading-Windows OS-???

HT worked fine for me with 2.54... I turned it off because they said it wasn't supproted with 3, but I haven't gotten 3.0 working yet so I've not played with turning it back on.

Senior Member Bruce A. Richardson's Avatar

I think you need to try it all. I mentioned this in another thread but it bears repeating: Problems on that Known Issues sheet were things that came up for individual beta testers, or (I'm assuming) in-house testers.

But in a larger distribution, more truths will come out--both in things that might not work well which were not a part of any tester's rig, and things that a tester might have experienced and attributed to something specific, when in fact, the problem may have been more convoluted and the suspected "culprit" was not entirely the issue.

The more experiences and observations which can be documented here (and submitted to Tascam), the better the follow-up point releases can be at quickly addressing known and new problems.

Try anything. You may be the person who unlocks a mystery, and helps everyone in doing so.

Hyper Threading enabled while running Giga3 works for me!

Do what Bruce says; keep using it untill you run into a problem. Turn it off in BIOS and repeat that problem. If it's still there, HT had nothing to do with it.
    Continue untill you find a real HT-related problem.
    Best regards,
    Michiel Post

i tried turning the hyperthreading on with GS2.5 and i get the greyed out midi boxes. turn HT off, and everything is ok again. that is using a LAYLA 24 on a p4 2.8 with only giga on the machine. i guess if hyperthreading doesn't make Giga any more powerful then it doesn't really matter.

ben

If Hyperthreading is on then your sequencer may crash during boot if Rewire is enabled in GS3. Disabling HT fixes this - it did for me...

cheers
    Thomas Hansen Skarbye
    Singer, Bass Player, Composer
    & Creative Director, SCARBEE

www.scarbee.com & www.myspace.com/scarbee

Quote Originally Posted by Lickety-Split
    Due to a strange problem with my sound playback when HT disabled in the BIOS (here are links to a few threads at different forums dealing with this crazy problem... maybe some of you guys can help me out with it) my sound playback is horrible with HT disabled.
    Have you set GS3 to use main output on soundcard (1-2)? If so change it to another output since it will conflict with your other applications if set to same output routing.

regards
    Thomas Hansen Skarbye
    Singer, Bass Player, Composer
    & Creative Director, SCARBEE

www.scarbee.com & www.myspace.com/scarbee

Wow- I really appreciate all of your help, and I'll certainly try your suggestion SCARBEE. Thanks to all of you.

Quote Originally Posted by SCARBEE
    Have you set GS3 to use main output on soundcard (1-2)? If so change it to another output since it will conflict with your other applications if set to same output routing.

regards
    I'm not sure that I can change the output of my soundcard- the EWX 24/96, it only shows channels 1-2 in GS. Am I overlooking something or will I be unable to try this with my setup? Thanks again!

Quote Originally Posted by soxfanben
    i tried turning the hyperthreading on with GS2.5 and i get the greyed out midi boxes. turn HT off, and everything is ok again. that is using a LAYLA 24 on a p4 2.8 with only giga on the machine. i guess if hyperthreading doesn't make Giga any more powerful then it doesn't really matter.

ben

Echo cards seem to be the ones most troubled in Giga by hyperthreading. Everyone that has posted with this particular problem seems to have an Echo card.

I'm hoping that their new GSIF2 drivers will fix this.

Go Back to forum