• Register
  • Help

Topic: Merge problems

Share/Bookmark

Merge problems

I cant for the life of me merge instruments together on gigastudio .As far as I know I have followed the instructions , but everytime i load the instrument into gigastudio it only plays as one instrument instead of the merge .
    Can some kind person please help put me out of my misery ?
    thanks in advance
    Paul

Re: Merge problems

Paul,
    After you merge the files you need to combine them. Merge doesn\'t make an instrument out of the samples, it merely loads the samples so that they are available for you to combine into one instrument. There is documentation on this in the manual, such as it is, and in the online help, so I won\'t repeat it here.
    Gabriel

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size=\"1\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by gabriels:
    Paul,
    After you merge the files you need to combine them. Merge doesn\'t make an instrument out of the samples, it merely loads the samples so that they are available for you to combine into one instrument. There is documentation on this in the manual, such as it is, and in the online help, so I won\'t repeat it here.
    Gabriel
    <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Hi ,
    Yes thanks I forgot to mention that I had combined them as well .What do i need to do from stage onwards ?

thanks
    Paul

I\'m not an expert on this but you might check on the controller you set when you combined them. Is it layered or switched with the mod wheel, etc.? Also, an instrument can only have one properties dialog so you lose the one for the second instrument. If the settings for volume were very different this could potentially cause one instrument to be virtually inaudible. Does the polyphony meter show you that one or both is playing?

Hi

Ive tried both Mod wheel and layer .It actually worked once last night but never since .
    Presuming that I`ve done the instrument merge and combine with layer control etc whats the next step with saving , vol .pan etc what should I look for .
    Like I said it worked once but other attempts lead to nothing or crashing !!??

Paul

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size=\"1\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Doug Marshall:
    I\'m not an expert on this but you might check on the controller you set when you combined them. Is it layered or switched with the mod wheel, etc.? Also, an instrument can only have one properties dialog so you lose the one for the second instrument. If the settings for volume were very different this could potentially cause one instrument to be virtually inaudible. Does the polyphony meter show you that one or both is playing? <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Yeah, mine also crashes sometimes when attempting to combine instruments. Make sure you\'ve saved the file before you do the merge. Here\'s a question: After the merge do the added dimensions appear in the display (lower center of screen)? If not, the merge didn\'t actually happen. Any idea what you might have done differently the one time it worked?

Your region volumes and pans should be retained (everything in the tabs, lower screen right), however, one of the instruments you merge will now be taking its global instrument properties (pitch bend, volume, etc.) from the other\'s properties. This makes sense since you have created a single new instrument when you\'re done. But it means that if the settings in the two properties boxes didn\'t match prior to combining you\'ll be doing some region editing to correct the change afterwards.

[This message has been edited by Doug Marshall (edited 04-20-2002).]

hi paul
    have you checked your Mix/layer tab?
    when you combine two instruments with Layer,
    you need something to trigger the second
    layer. A common procedure is to Xfade between
    them with a controller, eg. mod wheel.
    This is done by using the controller for
    attn. control with 1\'layer set to \'invert\' and the second layer with normal attn., so that when you raise the controller the 1st layer fades out and the second layer fades in.

Bjk

Go Back to forum