• Register
  • Help

Topic: Audiotechs: please eval this configuration

Audiotechs: please eval this configuration

Sorry to double post this, but perhaps someone here can help me see if the reason Giga sounds so good through my headphones, yet fairly weak through my speakers has to do with something in the compatibility of my components (see other post):

Bruce, I'm afraid I don't understand how to evaluate for this possibility you bring up. Here is what I have going:

Delta Audiophile (from the spec sheet, the only reference to ohms):

"Input Impedance: 10k ohms minimum."

Alesis Multimix 12 FXD:

"1/4 in. Outputs
    Main Mix, Ctrl Room, Aux 3/4, Ext Aux Send Level: +4dBu nominal, +20dBu maximum
    Headphone Output: 75 ohm output impedance
    >105mW into 75 ohms, > 40mW into 600ohms"

Samson Servo 120 Stereo amp:

"Output Power (typical all channels driven):
    4 Ω, 1 kHz, 1% THD, 83 W
    4 Ω, 1 kHz, .034% THD, 60 W
    8 Ω, 1 kHz, 1% THD, 57.5 W
    8 Ω, 1 kHz, <.019% THD, 52 W" and . . .

"Headphone Output Level: 240 mW at 8 Ω (1 kHz)
    Input Impedance: >10 k Ω balanced/> 10 k Ω unbalanced"

****I'm plugging my headphones into the Alesis Mixer

Yamaha S8M Studio Monitors (x2)
    Impedance: 6 Ohms
    Power Rating: Noise 25W Program 50W Max 100W

Given this info, do you see an issue that might be causing my problem? I don't understand what the requirements are for ohms and amps etc. I have no troubles with clipping, but there is something slightly amiss with the output from my monitors when contrasted with my stereo headphones.

Re: Audiotechs: please eval this configuration

Double check that your speakers are wired properly (+/-) they may be out of phase. The compression in the MP3's could be responsible for minimizing the phase error.

Re: Audiotechs: please eval this configuration

What headphones are you using? It may be that your headphones are "scooped" with lots of highs and lows, which can sound really cool. The monitors may be flatter, so they don't sound as exciting.

The professionally mixed music was mixed on flat monitors, so it sounds good on the yamaha's. Your own music hasn't been professionally mixed, and your effects may be lacking, so it sounds a bit dull on the Yamahas - and the scooped headphones help give it that edge.

It's a theory anyway. Or, your speakers might just be out of phase.

Go Back to forum