• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Topic: Naive Question: Is This Kind of Stuff Legit?

Share/Bookmark

Naive Question: Is This Kind of Stuff Legit?

Hi,

Is there a catch with this sort of thing?:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...718400472&rd=1

If it is legitimate, I don't know how the economics work, and if it's not, I'm not sure what the game is. I want to get Sonar real bad, but of course I want to do it right, and not get involved with anything stupid.

Michael

Re: Naive Question: Is This Kind of Stuff Legit?

Seems awfully expensive for an illegal copy, but who knows? That's the chance you take with Ebay.

Buy Cubase SX2 full retail from audioMIDI.com and upgrade to SX3 for nother $49 dollars - and be done with it.

Here's the deal Cubase SX2 for $399 from audioMIDI.com.

Here's myreview of the app.
    Houston Haynes - Titan Line Music

Hey Houston. Sonar Man here . You can never have too many good tools and I just grabbed Sonar 4 but I might check in to this as I used to be a Cubase Man then became a traitor . Are you sure the upgrade is $49 and not $149? cant find upgrade price on site. Strinberg.net says more like $200.

"So what if some parts of life are a crap shoot? Get out there and shoot the crap." -- Neil Peart
    Hint:1.6180339887498948482 Φ

Cubase SX man here - the upgrade for new SX 2 users is $49 - and $149 for old SX users - I will be grabbing myupdate soon - the IN Place Editor is worth the upgrade alone for my dollar... now where did I hide that wallet again... you know - to curb 1am purchases that I realize I can't afford the next morning...?

hehe.
    Alan Lastufka | www.BelaDMedia.com
    Producer/Artistic Design | Content Producer

20 Things

Hey I'm pretty new to this stuff too, can I do everything I need such as recording, mixing and mastering with gigastudio and sonar, or do I need Cubase? I own several kontact player things like the Stormdrums and PMI Bosen piano plug in, but I also have several giga library's I have been having problems with everything. they all play, but I can not record or edit the tracks and I do not know if it's me being a bonehead and not hooking up everything correctly or do I need something like cubase also? (I just realized this is not the right thread sorry about that :P )

Seth
    I do not regret the things I've done, but those I was unable to do.

Well, my twisted logic goes like this:

I used Cubase for years with the dongle thing. Bogus! Customer support is nearly non-existent, and what you do get sucks. Thus I tossed it in favor of then “Cakewalk Pro Audio”(a clear step down at the time). The Cubase program itself is slick but always has a few major bugs. It does a few things that Sonar doesn’t do and from what I hear, It bounces tracks a little more reliably when using virtual instruments. And the notation aspect is well done (Sonar’s is basically useless. But then I have Sibelius 3). Sonar, on the other hand, is the midi champ, has MFX (which is way cool!) and has always been solid. Sonar 3 was/is the most solid app I have ever used and has no BS CP scheme. Now why would I consider Cubase now? Because for $400 you can get the “other guy” for about the same as a good sample library and have both ways of working, take advantage of certain differences, and be compatible with your misguided buds that use Cubase . Sonar 4 (which I already ordered on sight) should be real solid and it steals a lot of Cubase stuff and will certainly be enough. But to get “on board” with the “other guy” for so cheap is certainly enticing.

All I need is for Houston to say “Shut up you ignoramus and just get it!”. I like Houston. He is a no BS kind of guy and his verbal beatings usually prove accurate .

"So what if some parts of life are a crap shoot? Get out there and shoot the crap." -- Neil Peart
    Hint:1.6180339887498948482 Φ

Hi all,

I just got acquainted with this soft stuff a few weeks ago. All I had ever done before is either play a real piano, or a midi keyboard onto a floppy and then record on the PC with a wave editor. So I really don't know anything.

I got GPO, then Kontakt with the summer special. I'm not terribly good at notatation (although to go through JB's OSE tutorial is on my "to do" list- thanks!)

Houston, I did read your SX2 review before, and have the Sonar demo, as well as PTP9, but I'm still trying to find a simple/minimalistic way to make it all work. I need a flow chart or something, or a good book that talks about the software-based approach from the ground floor up.

My idea is to have:

1) Midi controller/keyboard
    2) 1 sampler/sample player (Kontakt)
    3) Sound library that I can expand incrementally (GPO working with other "non orchestral" type instruments, GOS later, etc.
    4) 1 sequencer that I can plug everything into, dxi, vst, etc. The sequencer would be my central work space.

But play those sad Gagli ensembles for me! I have almost no money left until next month. Just living check to check off of a humble tech job in a hospital, and I had to splurge on a new monitor this month because my old 800-600 res CRT is not going to cut it in the DAW world.

I'm beginning to wonder if Home Studio XL, with its Dx support and "VST adaptor" might really be enough for now, or even if Kontakt would plug into PTP if I knew how to do it. (I figured out how to use GPO studio w/ PTP, but can't yet do anything with the full Kontakt except make very nice GPO voices sound like frightened seals undergoing a terribly unpleasant police interrogation.)

I do know that I like the Sonar demo interface.

I guess I just have one simple question: How do you do this? I scour these forums, but so much of the jargon is over my head.

Sign me Clueless in Iowa,

Michael

Thumbs up Re: Naive Question: Is This Kind of Stuff Legit?

Hey Michael,
    OK, I just deleted 6 paragraphs of advice. The $400 price tag for SX makes it a very tempting buy. I don't think a person can go wrong with either Sonar or Cubase (Though as an SX user I have some gripes with the company right now.) Based on what you have posted, here are some things to consider

1) If you expect to do a lot of Notation, neither Cubase or Sonar are products you want to deal with. I've tried using the Cubase Score feature for almost 2 years. I can honestly say it sucks rocks. Horrible. A means to driving people to Prozac. I got more done with Overture in 2 nights than I did in 2 years with Cubase's scoring feature.

2) Overture is *great*. You can use it for all of your notation needs, then port the resulting MIDI or audio files into Cubase for further processing.

3) If you are not going to be able to take advantage of the audiomidi $400 deal, then take your time making a decision. You have both Overture SE and Cubasis that came with GPO, so use them. Get demos of both Sonar and SX and try them out. Determine which program offers the best workflow for the way you work. Then make the purchase. Sonar / Cubase will be the centerpiece for your DAW, you don't want to make the decision to quickly.

Last of all, you will have a ton of questions. Don't be afraid to ask. There are many more people on this board more qualified than myself to help you out, and they are more than willing to do so.

-Kevin

P.S. Understand there is a difference between a sequencer and a notation program. The notation program displays a nice, tidy score for musicians to play from. Sequencing is for making your samples, synths, etc sound correct when playing back. That means you will mangle MIDI data to get the job done. If you literally presented on a score what the MIDI data was doing, you would have a mess. This is the main flaw with SX. The Score feature tries to take the sequencing mess and tidy it up for scoring purposes. It is a match made in hell. If you notate your music and then seperately manipulate the MIDI data for playback (Overture, Sibelius, Finale as a notator, SX as the MIDI editor and playback device for instance) you will find life can be much easier. This may not be true for the Sonar world, I don't know, so take this as an SX statement.
    We are the music makers, we are the dreamers of dreams …
    24" 2.4 Ghz iMac, OSX 10.4.10, MOTU 828 MKII, 2 Glyph 250 Gig external drives, Logic 9, Finale 2008 GPO, JABB, Strad, Gro, Reason 4, EWQL Storm Drum, Adrenaline, Symphonic Choirs, SO Gold,All Arturia Synths, Many NI Synths, Spectrasonics Synths, KH Strings, VEPro on a Windows 7 4x 2.8 Ghz 12 gig of RAM

Thanks Kevin,

I know my last post was essentially a rant. It's just that on the "music" side of the street, I know how to go about learning what I don't know. I'm not a great piano player, but I know how to practice and get better. I'm not an expert orchestrator, but I know how to study and get better. I understand enough to lay out a linear path for improving those skills.

But on the "computer" side of the street I'm totally confused. For example, reading the key differences between Sonar PE and SE, I'm not entirely sure what those things even are, much less whether I need them. If I search forums or google for terms, I invarably get allusions to those terms in discussions already in progress, as though I'd crashed a grad-level course without having taken the prerequisites.

BTW:
    http://www.audiomidi.com/common/cfm/product.cfm?pid=531

audiomidi.com seems to be offering FREE upgrade to Sonar 4 if you buy 3 in Sept. at $499

the XL 3 update cost seems to be a question of who you ask.

Michael

Go Back to forum