• Register
  • Help

Topic: Sonar 3 Rewire questions

Share/Bookmark

Question Sonar 3 Rewire questions

In experimenting with Giga 3 and re-wire within Sonar I have three problems.

1. Mixdown creates funny volume changes and similar artifacts.
    2. When I hit record or play when recording parts there is about a two second delay before everything starts.
    3. When I bring Giga 3 to the foreground, all audio stops. Sonar has to be the active window for any playing to be heard. Which means that I can't tweak the sound of the instrument in rewire mode.

Is this normal? I have the stripped down Kontakt Player that comes with GPO and it creates none of these problems. Is re-wire that picky? I just hope that I'm doing something wrong because I love everything else about Giga 3.

Cool Re: Sonar 3 Rewire questions

OK I've had a chance to play more with this and it seems like the volume changes and artifacts have dissappeared. But I'm not using 24 bit samples this time around. It could have something to do with it. I also noticed that they came back if sonar and gs3 were loaded in the wrong order. I also discovered that you CAN work on tweaking the sounds in GS3 if the song in Sonar is still playing, so if I want to tweak I just keep the song playing until I get the sound that I want. But what I hate the most is the 2 second delay in starting songs, or clicking on another part of a song. Basically navigating through the song gets slowed down considerably. I'm almost ready to just use GS3 as a standalone to avoid the wait. It actually may save time even if you can't use the rewire mixdown.

Re: Sonar 3 Rewire questions

Cody, thanks for the info. I plan on using a similar setup (GS3 rewired to Cubase along with various VSTi’s). The 2-second delay would drive me nuts. I have zero experience with rewire, but there must be some sort of buffer/latency setting to scale this back. Let me know how things progress.

Well, GS3 just crashed and somehow reset my registration which I haven't been able do because they haven't emailed me my registration key and now I'm locked out. I bet they're not open on Monday either. Guess I'm out of luck till tuesday. Glad I don't have any deadlines pressing.

Cody,

I would suggest calling Tascam (don't send them an email). I assume I will also have to call them before my 10 day period expires

I already have. Left a message. I imagine that they won't be back until after Labor day. I don't blame them. We all need time off.

GS3 also crashed on me after less than an hours worth of use with only one instrument loaded. The registration information appeared to be hosed. It brought up a registration box and I clicked on Restore Registration and it restored it and I'm in GS3 again.

Quote Originally Posted by Cody
    But what I hate the most is the 2 second delay in starting songs, or clicking on another part of a song. Basically navigating through the song gets slowed down considerably. I'm almost ready to just use GS3 as a standalone to avoid the wait. It actually may save time even if you can't use the rewire mixdown.
    Play with your buffer settings to get rid of the delay ....

Question Re: Sonar 3 Rewire questions

Which buffers should I play with? There are some inside of GS3, and there are two different settings within Sonar 3.

I won't be able to experiment until I get my registration codes from Tascam. But I'd love to know where to start when I do.

I can't help you with GS3 yet, but in SONAR, Options--->Audio---> there are settings for buffer size and for the number of buffers. There is also a latency slider. This will affect the audio "resident" in SONAR.

In GS3, those sliders will need some fiddling as well.

Hopefully you will only need to do this ONCE ....

Go Back to forum