• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Topic: A Soul Alone

A Soul Alone

Hi folks,

Just throwing in a new piece: A Soul Alone. This one is an orchestral tango. There are some pp to ff sections in here and I think it shows off the GPO's dynamic range pretty well.

My usual caveats apply - percussion, piano, guitar are not GPO, the orchestra is though.

Apart from that, hope you like it. There are some great composers in this forum and I feel overawed (and privileged) to be among you guys and gals.

Here it is:

John Hawksley & The NSO - A Soul Alone.mp3

Re: A Soul Alone

Triple WOW!

Elegant work. Nice melody and excellent use of dynamics!

I like it very much. Keep up the good work.

Larry A.

Orcas Island

Thumbs up Re: A Soul Alone

I really like your orchestral tango. Excellent writing and use of the orchestra. It builds nicely and soars in just the right spots. This would also be a fine addition to the GPO demo page.

Thank you for posting this. We are privileged to have you among us.

Gary Garritan

Wow, this is one of the best pieces I've heard on this forum! Wonderful crescendos, beautiful melodies, amazing dynamics . . . . it's awesome!

You said some of it wasn't GPO . . . where did the other stuff come from? (that guitar sounded great) Also, is there any chance that I could have a look at the score?

Great work! Thanks for sharing it. (The music inspired me to visit your website for more music, it's wonderful!)

Hi Gary, yeah I'm pretty good at pulling the old heartstrings :-) Glad you like it - you're welcome to have it for the demo page!

Hi Sean, Thanks for taking a listen and the great comments.

I don't restrict myself to 'just' the GPO: when I have stuff that fits with the sound that's not GPO I usually throw it in there. I did do an arrangement of Eye Level (on the website) which *was* just GPO, but that was my first production with the GPO and I wanted to restrict myself in order to find all the corners in the library (actually there aren't many!).

Yeah, the guitar, percussion and piano aren't GPO. The percussion comes from a library whose name escapes me (I'm not in the studio right now). The GPO pianos (even the 'lite' ones) are really nice but with 50-odd channels of GPO I needed to offload as much as I could to other hardware, - so the piano went to the A90-VERD1 (it's patch 12 - I think it's a stereo baby grand). Compared to the GPO piano and the Giga piano, it's not up to much but it doesn't get any solos in A Soul Alone - mostly just harmonic fill and ostinato - so I left it as was.

The guitars are from Yellow Tools' "Pure Guitars" library, which is really great set of accoustic guitars. They're very playable.

Now the bad news - there's no score. I sequenced it directly into Cubase. You're welcome to have a copy of the sequence, it might be possible to retro-generate a score but without a lot of manual labour it wouldn't be very good!

Thanks again!

Quote Originally Posted by John Hawksley
    This one is an orchestral tango.
    It sounds very interesting and unusual - habanera in major. B-dur at 02:11 is fresh and following d-moll serves as a good, soft contrast to the reprise of 01:20 (I'd use the same A - B progression in 02:43 to bring the last culmination to B-dur, not D-dur, but this is just my opinion). If you're interested, I used the similar bass patern in Quasi una flamenco on

Excellent example of midi orchestration. Pity you don't have a pdf score.

Kauai, Hawaii, USA

Thumbs up Bravo!

Are the cymbals GPO? I’ve been having very similar problems coming up with a realistic cymbal roll [with or without ending crash] without getting a very harsh effect. (Of course part of this could be MP3 – but for me the harshness exists in my attempts in the 44.1K WAV as well.)

While I like (and applaud) the dynamic of the overall piece, I think the “quiet” moments are way too quiet. It almost seems like the orchestra is in the next room. And the reverb is just a tiny bit too much (imho).

So which is it? Habanero or Tango? Doing neither, I could go with either. Nice work!

Re: Bravo!

Hi Kevin,

All the percussion is from another library (LOP) which has a variety of matches cymbal rolls (including an even roll without a bloom) and crashes. The GPO percussion is okay, as far as it goes, but like you said, some things are a little thin.

God knows what the piece is, tango or habanera, I've had enough of it now... I may go back and bring up the dynamics on the quiet sections but I will probably just move on. The peice isn't earmarked for anything.

Thanks for the listen!

Go Back to forum
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast