• Register
  • Help

Topic: Foolish idea that is giving me a good playing experience for sampled pianos

Share/Bookmark

Foolish idea that is giving me a good playing experience for sampled pianos

(This comes from my post on another thread, but more people may see it if it's posted here separately, even if more people don't necessarily want to see it.)

Something I do that will not help you in recording\mixing pianos but may give you enjoyment in playing at home: I found an old set of tall Pioneer stereo speakers (vintage 1985 or so) at a flea market for $50. Three cones, with 10" woofers (not as large as the cones on a good dedicated keyboard amp, but close). These are not studio monitors, just the usual stereo speakers, at one time state-of-the-art. These sit behind my keyboard, one on each end, turned slightly to face me. They sound great for pianos. I imagine a more recently made set would sound even better.

Not to be trusted for mixes, as I say, because they color the sound, but for just playing and composing, they sound great, making the pianos sound much fuller and richer than my studio monitors. Helps that they sit on the wooden floor, too, so the sound seems to come from slighty below me, like the sound of a piano when you play, and are near the wall, so the bass response is good. (Obviously, try the best and biggest speakers you can find--I was lucky to find these big CS-G7001 Pioneers for almost nothing.)

My monitors sit on top of these, and my amp has a switch that lets me switch between the two sets of speakers.

Anyone else using big stereo speakers this way? Well worth experimenting with for piano sounds.

Re: Foolish idea that is giving me a good playing experience for sampled pianos

Indeed...I'm using B&W oldish speakers for piano...
    Jan Nemecek
    www.jannemecek.net

Go Back to forum