• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: Can Ensemble users use Gigapulse?

Share/Bookmark

Question Can Ensemble users use Gigapulse?

It appears it will play Gigapulse files only, so I guess that means if the author of a particular available sound sample used Gigapulse, then the ensemble user will be able to hear gigapulse effects, true? It also appears one can't borrow gigapulse processing and add it to an existing sample, unless one has Gigapulse Pro, true?

Noel

andyt

Re: Can Ensemble users use Gigapulse?

100% correct .... as far as Tascam intended to restrict it.

But I think Bruce has discovered a kinda work-around for people without GigaPulse Pro. It involves piggy-backing on instruments that have GigaPulse encoded content.

If I recall, he suggested using the new stacking feature (i.e. loading more than one instrument, into a midi channel, using the new stacking feature). 1st load your instruments that does has GigaPulse content, e.g. GigaPiano 2. Then stack a second instrument into the same midi slot. Finally, reduce the volume of the first instrument to zero. The second instruments audio gets processed with the same GigaPulse content as the first one.

So you could use your existing piano libraries using the Gigapiano 2, impulses.

Anyway, I think that is what he suggested ....

Quote Originally Posted by andyt
    100% correct .... as far as Tascam intended to restrict it.

But I think Bruce has discovered a kinda work-around for people without GigaPulse Pro. It involves piggy-backing on instruments that have GigaPulse encoded content.

If I recall, he suggested using the new stacking feature (i.e. loading more than one instrument, into a midi channel, using the new stacking feature). 1st load your instruments that does has GigaPulse content, e.g. GigaPiano 2. Then stack a second instrument into the same midi slot. Finally, reduce the volume of the first instrument to zero. The second instruments audio gets processed with the same GigaPulse content as the first one.

So you could use your existing piano libraries using the Gigapiano 2, impulses.

Anyway, I think that is what he suggested ....
    Yes, that's true, but you can also make small "Shell.gig" files that doesn't contain any data exept for encoded GP content. Those are stacked upon the real instrument and loaded using the new .gsi format.
    This is the method recommended by Tascam and also the metrhod that we use with the Black Grand.
    You can also use those shell files to stack upon any instrument you like and get the same GP response.
    Worra
    SampleTekk

Arf, arf, arf...

Senior Member Bruce A. Richardson's Avatar

All true. The best idea is to get Orchestra, though.

I had thought about that. I'm not sure I would use most of what it offers though, as I mainly bought this product to play piano at home with.

Bruce, how much does Gigapulse really add? I know that must be a very subjective issue, but in your humble opinion, do you think the average user will be impressed enough to say it really makes a diff?

Noel

Hey it works. Cool. Adds some serious polyphony though it appears.

One nasty problem: I'm getting pops n clicks with every pedel down and pedal up. This happens when just the Gigapiano II is loaded, irrespective of the stacking thing. Any thoughts on that one?

Noel

Quote Originally Posted by Noel

One nasty problem: I'm getting pops n clicks with every pedel down and pedal up. This happens when just the Gigapiano II is loaded, irrespective of the stacking thing. Any thoughts on that one?

Noel
    No polyphony problems with the method I describe since you're not triggering any extra samples with the shell.gig
    Worra
    SampleTekk

Arf, arf, arf...

Is there any way to make a shell.gig out content in the Giga II piano so I can use it with the WG, Worra? As you can see . . . I'm in over my head. I only know enough to say Giga 3 is quite the awesome piece of software.

The pops n clicks with pedal up down occur during play only, so if I just pedal up and down without playing a note, there is not pop n click. I does improve somewhat loading the LE version of Gigapiano II, and improves somewhat by turning down hardware settings to 16bit/44K. I have a 3.4GHz P4 with 1G of ram, and without Gigapulse operating there are no pops n clicks at 24bit/96K.

Noel

Noel
    Rather than just turn the volume down to zero on the GigaPiano, MUTE it in the Port/Channel pane. The GigaPulse instances will still stay associated with the channel, but you won't accrue the additional polyphony hit.

Is there any way to make a shell.gig out content in the Giga II piano
    That's the advantage of Ensemble/GigaPulse Pro. You have the development tools there to do this kind of thing.

Regarding the "pop," try increasing your soundcard buffers one notch, i.e., 64 to 128, 128 to 256, etc. That should fix it.

Go Back to forum