• Register
  • Help

Topic: Differences between Overture SE and Overture 3.0?

Share/Bookmark

Differences between Overture SE and Overture 3.0?

I know somebody covered this but I can't for the life of me find the info here. Can somebody outline the differences between the two programs? I'm trying to decide whether to upgrade and use Overture as my main compositional program in conjunction with GPO since it integrates so nicely. Also, if I buy the Sibelius competitive upgrade version of Overture 3.0, does it come with an actual hard copy manual? (that pdf file at 800+ pages would simply be too much of a pain to print!)

Thanks for any help -
    - robjohn

Re: Differences between Overture SE and Overture 3.0?

Quote Originally Posted by robjohn
    I know somebody covered this but I can't for the life of me find the info here. Can somebody outline the differences between the two programs? I'm trying to decide whether to upgrade and use Overture as my main compositional program in conjunction with GPO since it integrates so nicely. Also, if I buy the Sibelius competitive upgrade version of Overture 3.0, does it come with an actual hard copy manual? (that pdf file at 800+ pages would simply be too much of a pain to print!)

Thanks for any help -
    - robjohn
    SE has the following restrictions (per Geniesoft):

-Only one score can be opened at a time
    -32 track maximum per score instead of 64
    -Libraries cannot be cutomized
    -No lyrics
    -No guitar tablature
    -No chord symbols
    -No jazz tools
    -No font substitutions

This may be only a partial list, but likely covers most of the major stuff. I haven't found any of these restrictions to be of consequence to date.

Another restriction I've noticed is that each track is limited to 4 voices instead of 8. Also, I've found some weird bugs if I leave Overture SE open and close one score and open another, which is most likely related to the restrictions built into the SE edition. For this reason, I always close Overture SE and reopen it when changing scores.

Go Back to forum