• Help

Topic: OT: Convolution through video cards

Share/Bookmark

OT: Convolution through video cards

Here's a promising new approach to convolution for room simulation:
    http://www.bionicfx.com/media/BIONICFX_09012004.pdf
    Here's more:
    http://www.tomshardware.com/hardnews...02_135943.html
    If this was supported by pro audio software, it might get rid of a lot of CPU load...

Re: OT: Convolution through video cards

This is like the tenth post I've seen about this on the different forums I am registered at - isn't this the same idea as the UAD-1 and the Powercore - only - I would assume it wouldn't be as efficient because it wasn't made for this purpose...?

The UAD-1 and Powercore are DSP cards that have onboard processors for taking the load off your PC's chip - and they have been around for some time now - am I missing something? (other than maybe that UAD-1 and Powercore don't have convolution FX, but that could easily be changed...)
    Alan Lastufka | www.BelaDMedia.com
    Producer/Artistic Design | Content Producer

20 Things

Quote Originally Posted by Alan Lastufka
    This is like the tenth post I've seen about this on the different forums I am registered at - isn't this the same idea as the UAD-1 and the Powercore - only - I would assume it wouldn't be as efficient because it wasn't made for this purpose...?
    This is in fact a matter of great debate, as the UAD-1 is rumoured to be an abandoned graphics card. Theoretically an AGP card should be more efficient than a PCI card like the UAD due to the greater upstream bandwidth.. Although this bandwidth won't be symmetric, unlike the forthcoming PCI Express graphics cards.
    Quote Originally Posted by Alan Lastufka
    The UAD-1 and Powercore are DSP cards that have onboard processors for taking the load off your PC's chip - and they have been around for some time now - am I missing something? (other than maybe that UAD-1 and Powercore don't have convolution FX, but that could easily be changed...)
    Well, only that this new system is using the performance headroom of the card for DSP processing, instead of taking up all the processing power of the card, as in the case of the UAD-1.

This idea in itself is nothing new though - there was a separate academic initiative to achieve the same thing announced several months ago.

Looks like it will be NVIDIA only initially... Think I'll stick with my Matrox G550 until I start to find the limits of my new Athlon 64.

the UAD1 was designed around old graphics technology (aledgedly although universal audio have yet to admit it), and the powercore uses old motorola dsp - neither a patch on the latest Nvidia cards in terns of power or memory.

The reason convultion hasn't been done on the UAD or Powercore is that it needs a lot of ram and they only ship with 8mb, whereas Nidia cards can have 128/256mb, and being mass consumer product are very cheap and updates come quickly.

I'm not getting too excited about all this yet though - I've got 2UADs and 2 Powercores in my main DAW and the reason they are excellent cards is that Universal Audio and TC have the experience and development team to make awesome plugins, wheras bionic are the new kid on the block with no track record. A deal with Waves would be great though, or a wrapper to run standard VST or DX plugins / instruments on the card would be nice too :-)

Ian

Quote Originally Posted by Ian Livingstone
    ...UAD or Powercore ...only ship with 8mb...

...or a wrapper to run standard VST or DX plugins / instruments on the card would be nice too :-)

Ian
    Okay - that's what I was missing...

First, I assumed th UAD-1 and Powercore were capable of convolution fx as well, just not implemented yet, and

Second, I thought you could run any VST on this technology - not just theirs... that makes sense.
    Alan Lastufka | www.BelaDMedia.com
    Producer/Artistic Design | Content Producer

20 Things

Go Back to forum