• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: Is Your Brain Like an Orchestra?

Share/Bookmark

Post Is Your Brain Like an Orchestra?

I ran across an interesting article recently that suggests that your brain operates more like an orchestra than a computer.

According to Dr. Rafael Yuste, professor of biology at Columbia, the new model depicts the brain "harnessing together ever-shifting neuronal networks, which work in a complex pattern of synchrony like musicians in an orchestra." The process of thought is a symphony of billions of neurons or "players" cooperating.

The article goes on to state: "Conscious states in this view consist of the pattern of variations in frequency, time, and space of the brain's electrical fields, generated by the correlated electrical activity of shifting assemblies of neurons, as members of a symphony orchestra work together in shifting patterns to produce a pattern of variations in frequency, time, and space of sound vibrations. Of course, the brain involves millions of "players" at any time, out of a population of hundreds of billions, and the "score" is improvised by the players collectively, like an extremely large jazz band."

You can read the article in the Columbia University Journal here: http://www.columbia.edu/cu/21stC/issue-4.2/lerner.html

Hmmm...I wonder if personalities have their roots in orchestrated brains. What do you think about this theory?

Gary Garritan

Warning: Related Viola Joke:

A psychiartrist walks into a brain shop, and says to the propriator "Hello. I am here to do some reasearch on human brains. What do you have in stock?"

The proprietor said, " Well, this Harvard PhD brain costs $10...this brain belonged to a NASA top scientist and costs $15...oh yes, here we a fresh violist's brain as well. It costs $50,000."

"Wow! That's expensive! Every orchestra has them. Why is it so expensive? Is it really high quality?"

The proprietor replies, "Because it's never been used."

Re: Is Your Brain Like an Orchestra?

LOL @ viola brain joke
    Alan Lastufka | www.BelaDMedia.com
    Producer/Artistic Design | Content Producer

20 Things

Interesting article. It would go a long way towards explaining how AI can beat Kasparov at chess, yet not be able to tell an amusing anecdote about the experience.

But what if you had billions of CPUs processing in sync with each other, could the results be a more fluid, orchesteral AI?

I've taken the liberty to set this up at home, to see if all these billions of computers running together would (like the proverbial monkeys) eventually type Shakespeare's Hamlet. No luck so far...

...oh, wait! I think I see something promising!:
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------
    BERNARDO
    Who's there?

FRANCISCO
    Nay, answer me: stand, and unfold yourself.

BERNARDO
    Long live the kflrjyjrhspxl!
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Oops! False alarm. Will keep trying though.

Michael

It can really hurt your brain to think about your own consciousness . . .

Some people explain consciousness as being the soul, but that doesn't make any sense since humans tend to go unconscious every night when they sleep (though I guess during a dream you are technically conscious). That leads to an interesting philosophical question: do you exist when in deep sleep? It sounds kind of silly, because we tend to wake up the in the morning, or at least start dreaming, but in that state of unconsciousness . . . if you think about it . . . whatever your consciousness is . . . you are actually in a state of non-existence . . .

Some people think like an orchestra, others a string quartet - still even more, a simple soloist out of tune from note to note and lacking in technique.
    Houston Haynes - Titan Line Music

Quote Originally Posted by Houston Haynes
    Some people think like an orchestra, others a string quartet - still even more, a simple soloist out of tune from note to note and lacking in technique.
    Heheh Houston

I guess i think like a Didgiridoo or something........
    Bzzzzzzzouuuuaaaaaaouuuuuuuuuzuzzzzzuuuuzzozuuuuaa aaaouuzuzuzz
    Theo Krueger - Composer

www.TheoKrueger.com

Kontakt 2 Scripts

Correct me but didn't L. Ron Hubbard touch on this very same theory in his book, Dianetics?
    Interesting post. If this is the case, my players are on strike.
    Styxx

Quote Originally Posted by Garritan
    I ran across an interesting article recently that suggests that your brain operates more like an orchestra than a computer.
    [/size]
    Does this then imply an orchestra is like a brain?

Quote Originally Posted by DarwinKopp
    Does this then imply an orchestra is like a brain?
    left side... right side...

stereo, hmmmm?

Musically, I guess it does kind of make sense. Now I know why I have to sit and listen to what's going on in my head when I begin a piece. Nine times out of ten, I can hear an entirely orchestrated tune from start to finish inside my head before I even start it.

This is going to sound egotistical (big word, need nap now!) but I believe Mozart, Beethoven and some of the other great masters dealt with this to some degree. Now I'm not comparing myself to them, I am a speck on a flea on a tick on Beethoven's dog when compared to him.

I guess what I'm really wondering is wheter or not other people hear experience this. I've been wondering about this ever since i began composing back in high school. Two of my best friends, who happen to be conservatory trained composers as well, say that they never do and I'm wondering what gives.

Any comments, anyone?

Thanks for letting me ramble,
    Jonny

PS: I also constently have music in my head. It's like having a jukebox wired in, playing hit after hit. Hmm, now all I need is a USB connection! :-)
    For more information, check out www.jonathoncox.com/intro.html

"The trouble with music appreciation in general is that people are taught to have too much respect for music they should be taught to love it instead." - Igor Stravinsky

Go Back to forum