• Register
  • Help

Topic: Non-Political: Windows XP---Home? Pro? or 2000?!?

Share/Bookmark

Non-Political: Windows XP---Home? Pro? or 2000?!?

sponsored links

***Advertisments***
    I'm finally getting ready to upgrade my archaic (but rock-solid) 98SE computer...
    Could anyone tell me what the differences are between XP Home and Professional with regards to audio? And also...if 2000 is worth considering?
    Thanks.

Re: Non-Political: Windows XP---Home? Pro? or 2000?!?

Bill Gates is a dirty fascis...

Oh, wait. Non-political.

If you network into a domain server, don't get Home. If you only have a small home network, Home is fine. W2K isn't supported by GS3, yet it is surprisingly similar to XP. The biggest beef I have with W2K is it's extremely long boot time. It's also older, has a smaller installed base and may go obsolete before WinXP, though that's debatable. Certainly WinXP will get more attention from audio developers (as shown by Tascam).

Bottom line: XP Home for home networks and standalone systems. XP Pro for more intensive networks and if running a domain server. W2K if you already own it and really don't want to spend more money on another OS.

-JF

I'm politically a windows hater, but have to admit that XP (I use pro, but probably doesn't matter) is better than the older versions. It boots and shutdown relatively quickly, for a start, and it fails less often.

Thanks, Jon.

You're basically confirming what I'd heard from my (non-audio) computer/hardware expert---that the fundamental difference between Home and Pro is in their respective networking abilities...So that's it? Nothing else I should be concerned with?

Quote Originally Posted by XanaX
    Thanks, Jon.

You're basically confirming what I'd heard from my (non-audio) computer/hardware expert---that the fundamental difference between Home and Pro is in their respective networking abilities...So that's it? Nothing else I should be concerned with?
    Nope. That's about it. In fact, some people prefer Home edition because there is less "clutter" if you don't happen to need the advanced networking features.
    "So what if some parts of life are a crap shoot? Get out there and shoot the crap." -- Neil Peart
    Hint:1.6180339887498948482 Φ

If there's a difference between Pro and Home, I have yet to find it or even to read anything definitive about it. Much of the advanced multimedia stuff is in DirectX, which is identical for the two. Another clue that they're basically the same for audio and MIDI.

-JF

Pro has some advanced features under networking. It also has admin/root login. XP home does not. (it's a psuedo admin login but not a "root" account)

None of that matters for just a home/work computer with simple dsl or cable modem/router connection. But, if you have any software or system that requires a "root" login account, you'll probably want "pro".

Pro also has a few administrative options that Home does not. The one I use the most is the ability to change user account names. If you do tech support and have to switch users of a machine without having to move all their files, this feature comes in REAL handy! Other than that, I don't think you'd need Pro.

The only other reason for using Pro is if you need to run a dual-cpu machine (as I do). Home only supports 1 processor.

Doesn't sound like this is the case. Just thought I'd throw it out there to complete the list.

We now return to our regularly scheduled ranting.
    - Layne

Go Back to forum