• Register
  • Help

Topic: Mod wheel data not visible in Sonar 3's piano roll view

Share/Bookmark

Mod wheel data not visible in Sonar 3's piano roll view

Sometimes I have mod wheel data that show up in track view but does not show up in the piano roll view. The only way to correct my mod wheel data is to goto the event list view and delete all mod wheel data and try add mod wheel data again.

I have the proper track selected I am choosing "1-modulation" under controller in the bottom of the piano roll view.

Is this a bug in Sonar or GPO?

Re: Mod wheel data not visible in Sonar 3's piano roll view

Make sure you set it to either All Channels or to the Channel to which it was recorded from which is usually Channel 1.

It isn't a bug. You need to be sure the proper channel is selected. If your violas are on channel 3, but you're viewing CC data on channel 1, nothing will show up.
    Dan Powers
    www.danielpowers.info

"It's easier to be a composer than it is to compose."
    --Ray Luke (1928-2010)

Thanks guys.

Dave Morehead

Yeah, this is a bit of an annoyance in Sonar. The problem is that if you copy a MIDI track to another track assigned to a different MIDI channel, the controller data is not re-assigned to the new track. It will still affect the track in question, but by default, double-clicking to bring up the track in piano-roll will only show the note data. You have to either re-assign, or switch over to "all channels."

I hope they change the way this works in Sonar 4. Not to mention the bug that has most of the dropdown menus not display properly in XP, which just adds to this confusion.
    - Jamie Kowalski

All Hands Music - Kowalski on the web
    The Ear Is Always Correct - Writings on composition

Quote Originally Posted by Skysaw
    The problem is that if you copy a MIDI track to another track assigned to a different MIDI channel, the controller data is not re-assigned to the new track.
    Have you tried Interpolate? You'll re-assign in 10 seconds!
    sfiks

Quote Originally Posted by sfiks
    Have you tried Interpolate? You'll re-assign in 10 seconds!
    Thanks for the tip, I'll try that. Still doesn't excuse Cakewalk, but it helps.
    - Jamie Kowalski

All Hands Music - Kowalski on the web
    The Ear Is Always Correct - Writings on composition

Quote Originally Posted by Skysaw
    if you copy a MIDI track to another track assigned to a different MIDI channel, the controller data is not re-assigned to the new track.
    This used to confound me too, however, on further consideration...

The notions of track and channel are separate. A track, at least in CW/SONAR is a discrete midi or audio stream. You can have many of these, limited only by your system's resources. A channel is a midi concept, limited to 16.

I've seen many midi realizations where all controller information is encoded to ch 1. Putting the controller info only on ch 1 can simplify things in SONAR in that when you're in the piano roll view, you can leave the controller pane on ch 1 and select the different tracks for viewing the event pane. Then, as you move from track to track, each track's controller info is displayed in ch 1 in the controller pane. If you are viewing multiple tracks in the event pane, the events and controller info are (or can be) in different colors.

In a way, it doesn't really matter what midi channel is encoded. The track's output routing is the controlling factor.

And, yeah, the dropdown menu business is a pain...it works for DXi, I think, but not for VSTi. If you have both, it's really squirrely.

Ah!...my wife grew up in Alexandria. We get back there a couple of times a year to visit her father...small world.
    Bill

Go Back to forum