• Register
  • Help

Topic: GigaStudio memory allocation

Share/Bookmark

GigaStudio memory allocation

I'm using GigaStudio 2.5 on a new machine I just bought with 2 gigs of RAM. I understand that after applying the registry tweaks, I should be able to use around 1.05 GB for GigaStudio. I'm also hoping to run EWQLSO Silver alongside Giga, but I have one concern - does running other samplers like kompakt access more memory independently of the 1 GB that Giga uses, or will the 1 GB that Giga can access be cut down by whatever amount kompakt loads?

Any help on this would be greatly appreciated.

Re: GigaStudio memory allocation

You Mean Kontact? Or Kompact? Or Tampax?

Yes, you can use Giga to its full extent and still load more samples in other samplers. They are independent in that sense, but of course you have to consider the total sum, but that's obvious I guess...

/Mattias

That's good to hear. I had tested it out before, but I started getting all sorts of critical errors once I loaded an instance of EWQLSO. Now I've changed a few settings and it's smooth sailing.

BTW, your tweaks worked like a miracle - according to the ASUS memory probe, I'm now able to load 1.18 GB of samples into Giga after using setting 3 in the memory optimizer.

Yes it does seem to work. You just have to be careful not to use up too much of the RAM. That can cause alot of problems. Some experimenting required. Also, it really helps if you have a friendly sound card that doesn't mind sharing applications. (in my case the m-audio cards) I can even play the two samplers through the same physical outputs.

Cheers
    Dave

Quote Originally Posted by Alex Temple
    That's good to hear. I had tested it out before, but I started getting all sorts of critical errors once I loaded an instance of EWQLSO. Now I've changed a few settings and it's smooth sailing.

BTW, your tweaks worked like a miracle - according to the ASUS memory probe, I'm now able to load 1.18 GB of samples into Giga after using setting 3 in the memory optimizer.
    Are there any guidelines for tweaking the registry?
    My system is as follows:

P4 3.2 Northwood
    Asus P4C800-E deluxe (V1016)
    RME HDSP 9632 (2.82)
    Corsair TwinX2048-3200 (2gig) @2.5-3-3-8
    Asus V9520 FX 5200
    2x Raptor 74GB 10k in Raid 0 (piano samples)
    2x WD 80 GB 7200 (Sata) in Raid 1 (system/GS3)
    Pioneer 107D DVD-RW

Check out my Tweak page at http://www.musikbanken.se/gigastudio for values known to be working. You will even find a small tool including some presets that will change the right values for you.

/Mattias

Thanks Mattias...most helpful :-))

Mal

Go Back to forum