• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Topic: Any RME users sucessfully running Giga 3?

Share/Bookmark

Any RME users sucessfully running Giga 3?

Hi

I would like to keep this in its own thread although this is posted somehere else. I would like to know if there are RME HDSP users out there that have tested Giga 3?

There seems to be issues with the two, yet wish to get more clarification or other users experiences. If you have not recieved Giga 3 yet and will recieve it , please post any similarities that are described below once you have tried it. Here is an excerpt taken from another post. I just wish not to see it die as there are many RME users here.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by FlyingRon
    The output side appears to work. However intalling GS3 causes all the non-Giga apps to lose the ability to see the HDSP MIDI ins. GigaStudio shows HDSP 1 and 2 "Low Latency" devices, but they appear to do NOTHING in Giga (the little blinky lights that normally twitch with midi traffic don't twitch). If I try to cheat and reinstall the HDSP driver at this point (or just deinstall GS3), the other apps go back to normal, but GigaStudio gets an error when it starts.(if I manually bring up the config screen it shows both HDSP 1&2 and HDSP 1&2 Low Latency, none of which work)............It's not the 10 midi bug, familiar with that.

Evidentally, RME lied to me and they only did GSIF2 for the audio. The card doesn't support GSIF-2 MIDI.

I needed more MIDI ins than the 2 on the RME anyway. Anybody want to recommend a good GSIF2 MIDI card with 4-8 ports?

However something else seems to be wrong. GS3 hoses the midi drivers in general. I can't even get the card to work with non-GS applications when GS3 is installed. The workarounds I've tried end up also wiping out the GS3 MIDI-ins (the 8 of them did show up at one point) along with my GPO studio MIDI-ins.

I fear I'm going to have to wipe out this machine and start over.

I would like to confirm the behaviour that FlyingRon is getting in conjuction with Gigastudio 3 and RME HDSP series cards.

I have a system here that I am testing and the results that FlyingRon explained in this post is exactly what happened, when I tested this new system.

I would like to confirm this behaviour.

First off I will explain this behaviour that FlyingRon previously explained:

Ron commented that once Gigastudio 3 installed he lost all HDSP Midi IN/Out ports in Non Giga apps like the Sequencer. It would not show up. Only the Gigastudio Ports were now visible. (Yet inside Gigastudio it still shows HDSP Midi In but everything is greyed out - (No activity)

My observations:

Prior to Giga 3 installation HDSP 9632 drivers 2.82a were functioning correctly and all Midi ports were visible within the sequencer and Device Set up in Cubase SX2. Within the Windows Registry the Midi showed up as hdspmme.dll.
    This satisfies the below 10 midi assignment in Windows XP as no other midi port drivers were installed and I confirmed the Midi list in the Registry.

Once Gigastudio 3 is installed the registry now shows Gigastudio ports (gmidi.dll) and all the giga ports are visible. However the Midi and corresponding hdspmme.dll is not visible, it is gone. Confirming this behaviour I went into the Sequencer and no HDSP midi ports are present.

After this I wanted to verify by reinstalling the HDSP 9632 Midi Driver. Once the driver was reinstalled the Midi and correspoinding RME hdspmme.dll driver was visible in the registry but the Gigastudio midi driver (g.midi)was now missing which means it wont show up at all in the Sequencer (Cubase SX)

I decided to uninstall Gigastudio 3 to see what would happen to the RME drivers since they were affected by the install. Once Giga 3 was uninstalled, I went back into the registry and the Midi with correponding hdspmme.dll driver was gone. No HDSP midi ports were showing.

So there is a problem here with HDSP driver and Gigastudio 3 cancelling out each others Midi ports.

If anyone can confirm this behaviour it would be appreciated. If anyone knows a fix or has recieved an aswer from RME or Tascam please post it here.

Thanks

Dave

Re: Any RME users sucessfully running Giga 3?

I am still waiting for my upgrade to GS3 but I am now concerned since there appears to be an RME problem.
    Question: Since I am running Giga on a machine independent to my sequencer, would you surmise that the aforementioned problem will not occur?

I have had confirmation with three other users. The RME MIDI and GS-3 are incompatible. I don't have another MIDI card set up so I can't tell you for certain, but poking at the "virtual keyboard" etc... appears to show that the output GSIF is working. However, in my tests, I've also not managed to get a working state with any sequencer software (short of deinstalling the RME drivers entirely).

Unfortunately, I am also screwed by TASCAM in that in the diagnostic stuff they told me to do locked me out of my 10 day registration limit. I called for a CD Key on Friday, but unfortunately their REGISTRAITION system is as hosed up as it always has been and I spent the entire 3 day weekend with no access to the registration code (which I still don't have).

Lots of finger pointing (at least TASCAM has given me some stuff to try). Synthax (nor RME in Germany) has yet to try to help at all.

One other user poking at things seems to think it may be some DLL conflict, but my guess is that there is enough of a GSIF-2 MIDI implementation in the driver to really hose things up. GS-3 thinks there are GSIF-2 inputs but they don't work. If you manage to (by reinstalling the RME driver) get other apps to be able to see your RME inputs again, GS-3 is hosed.

So GS3 will show the RME midi drivers, but once you open a sequencer, all is lost ??

GS3 can communicate with the HD card, as long as, it is working as a standalone ??

Im getting a bit confused, GS3 will be arriving tomorrow, but if there is no hope, then i may want to keep it in the box.

As soon as you install GS3, the normal RME MIDI's disappear (all the other apps, Hauptwerk, GPO, Sibelius) cease to see them anymore.

GS-3 claims there are HDSP LowLatency (GSIF) interfaces, but they don't work.
    The only thing I got out of RME is that they didn't implement GSIF midi.

Quote Originally Posted by FlyingRon
    As soon as you install GS3, the normal RME MIDI's disappear (all the other apps, Hauptwerk, GPO, Sibelius) cease to see them anymore.

GS-3 claims there are HDSP LowLatency (GSIF) interfaces, but they don't work.
    The only thing I got out of RME is that they didn't implement GSIF midi.
    SWL , Ron and others. I also just recieved confirmation from RME support.

As stated publicly the current HDSP series drivers do not support GSIF-2

MIDI. This will be available in a future driver update.

Regards
    Matthias Carstens
    RME
    All my best,

According to Matthias email , it looks like the lack of GSIF 2 does have an influence on these ports dissapearing in Giga 3. This was emailed to me after I explained the behaviour, so the GSIF midi is not working. SWL I urge you and others to try it for yourself. Do it step by step and record your observations, you can always revert back to your RME drivers and evertyhing will be back to where it was. Except I uninstalled Giga 3 and am waiting for a new release from RME.
    Regards

Dave

Senior Member Bruce A. Richardson's Avatar

This is all very unfortunate. I hope that you are forwarding all of this information and correspondence to Tascam, so that they can work with RME more directly to clean up this driver situation.

But bear in mind that end-user pressure is the most effective force you can bring to bear in the situation. The more it's publicized that the RME drivers are not ready for primetime, the more likely you're going to get a quick fix. The old squeaky wheel trick...

Quote Originally Posted by Bruce A. Richardson
    This is all very unfortunate.
    It's particularly unfortunate, IMO, that a company (or both companies?) have had a number of months to test this combo -- RME being right up there in popularity and quality -- and only now end-users are struggling with incompatibility. I know this comment doesn't add any real value to the discussion, but being a sw engineer myself I just wanted to add my $.02.

- Keith

Quote Originally Posted by Bruce A. Richardson
    This is all very unfortunate. I hope that you are forwarding all of this information and correspondence to Tascam, so that they can work with RME more directly to clean up this driver situation.

But bear in mind that end-user pressure is the most effective force you can bring to bear in the situation. The more it's publicized that the RME drivers are not ready for primetime, the more likely you're going to get a quick fix. The old squeaky wheel trick...
    Thanks Bruce for chiming in ! Are you able to to forward this to Tascam, get the message further up the ladder than we can?

Hope Tascam acknowledges your presence and assistance here !!

Scott

...and still no official forum on the Tascam site....

I don’t want to be rude to Tascam but,

It’s not very... serious.

Gabriel

Go Back to forum